Alive

I feel something under my foot as I'm walking down the side walk and I reach down to pick it up and it's a drivers license.

Joshua Williams

Was all I said before my eyes widened. "Joshua Williams." I say under my breath and look up wide eyed. "The murderer." I finish. Everybody on the street heads turned to the left where we heard a high pitch scream. I stood there frozen as people ran with their children. Soon the street was deserted and I left standing there with a murderers drivers license.

     A small boy probably 4 or 5 stands near me and I cover the few feet that separate us. He stands there frightened so when I put my hand on his shoulder and his head whips around.

     "Help..." He whispers in a shaky breath and points in front of him. I see at the end of the foggy street a figure that could pass as a shadow.

     "Come with me okay?" I say and start walking slowly trying to make as less noise as possible.

     "He's already seen me." He whispers again. All colour has drained from the boys face as I realize he's not wrong. The figure comes closer and closer.

     "Come on." I say slightly louder and grab his hand running. I run through a street alley and onto the next road. I turn left but the kid is falling behind. I pick him up onto my hip and race for the closest alley knowing I couldn't make it much farther. I crouch beside a dumpster trying my best to not make a sound. "Shh." I tell the kid in a hushed voice.

He watches me with tears streaming down his cheeks. I hold a finger up to my lip and he nods slightly.

"Help me Zach." I whisper as I hold his sweatshirt in my balled fist. A can falls somewhere close to us and a small gasp leaves the boys mouth. I almost want to stuff a fist in his mouth but I almost didn't stop myself. Footsteps echo in the distance and the world around me almost stops when shadows appear on the wall in front of us.

Now a man stands in front of us with a gun to his side. He has a scraggly beard and worn out clothes. He holds the gun up and aims it at the boy.

      "No please don't hurt him!" I say and launch myself at the small child.

      "He's weak. This world should be filled with strong humans not the skinny little brats like him." The man growls and spits.

      "Don't hurt him." I repeat. How much nerve have I got to do this. I almost smack myself.

     "Where's your hair! Why don't you have hair." He positions the gun close to my head.

     Weak? If he knows I have cancer he would consider that weak. He would kill me. I almost would let him but I know I have to save this kid; I can't be the reason for his death.

     "I shaved it." I say quickly. "I wanted to feel different so I shaved it." I repeat.

     "This is the last time." The man shoves the gun into his waistband and starts walking slowly away. I hold the kid close to me and pick him up onto my lap. He clutched to my shirt in shock.

     "I want my mummy." The kid says.

     "What's your name?" I ask.

     "Jackson." The little boy says.

     "Okay Jackson, we'll find your mom I promise. We can't go get okay?" I say and he just nods and nuzzles his head into the crook of my neck. I hold one of my hands on the kids back and another under his butt to hold him.

      Eventually Jackson  falls asleep while I'm holding him. It feels as if it's been over six hours before I hear voices but I shrink into the wall. Three men come down the alley in police uniforms. I almost say something when one of them see us.

     "Over here." He says and comes over to us. "We're the police were here to take you home."

     I put a finger to my lip. "He's sleeping." I whisper. I stand up with Jackson but my legs are stiff from sitting in the same position for over six hours.

     "I'll take him." One of the police men say and I almost let him hit when I make a move to give him to the man I notice his tight grip on my sweatshirt.

     "I have him." I say and he nods.

     "Come with us." He says and leads us to a car with flashing lights on it. I get in the back while still holding Jackson. I lean against the window and breathe out which causes Jacksons eyes to flutter open.

     "Where are we?" He asks drowsily.

     "We're safe." I smile.

Zach's POV

I sit watching the news for the first time in months.

Joshua Williams caught and sentenced to a lifetime in prison for murdering seven individuals. Found in clear creek California.

Wait where do I know that place from? Holly. Holly is there. I run into Andrews room and burst through the door going to his computer as quickly as my legs would take me.

     "Who were the deaths by Joshua Williams.." I say as I type.

      "Dude what's so urgent?" Andrew asks.

     "You know the shooter in California?"

     "Yeah." Andrew shrugs.

     "That's where Holly is." Andrews eyes go wide and he pulls up a chair to his desk. I search the list of people and I don't recognize any of the names. "She's alive." I breath out.

      "She's alive." Andrew agrees.