It will be like this forever

Beautiful

Was the first word that came to mind. Willow trees edged the fenced in area with vines closing in any gaps. Flowers stretched up twisted poles and a small stone path led to a wide circle where there was a porch swing. I carefully placed my feet on the stones making my way to the swing, forgetting the fear that haunted me. I reached my fingers out and gently ran them along the chains in which supported the wooden swing that swung lightly in the breeze.

    For a moment I forgot everything around me then I paused suddenly and pivited on my heels to see Zach still standing there.

    Like it? He signed. He Signed it.

    What? I signed.

    I learned some sign language so I could easily communicate with you. He signed unsure and nervous.

    Oh my god... I gripped the swing behind me for support and lowered myself onto it. Zach slowly walked over while lowering his head and running his fingers through his hair. He sat next to me.

    How much do you know? I sign wearily.

    I'm fluent. He says.

    Talk to me then. Make this one of the most normal conversations we can have. I sign.
Okay let's start with the basics. Tell me about your past. He signed. I froze maybe a little to long. Okay I'll start. My name is Z-A-C-H W-I-L-S-O-N. I've lived here my entire life and my mom died when I was seven from lung cancer. My father and I don't agree nor get along. I personally like school because it's a getaway. And.... I have never had a girlfriend.

    I giggled at the last part. You had to add that?

     Thought it was necessary. He laughed. Your turn.

     I sighed. I am H-O-L-L-Y T-H-O-R-N. I live at an orphanage. I have zero friends and no life.

    But there is more to you than that. I can see it. He signs

    How'd you know? I smirked, trying to avoid it.

    I see it in your eyes. He was so serious I thought it might strangle me.

    I had abusive parents. Well my mom at least. My father left which left my mom in a drunk mess. I broke my finger once. I even- even-... I hurt my back. I sign, turning and pulling up the back of my shirt slightly. I felt his fingers run gently over from one side to the other. Once he stopped I pulled my shirt down and turned back to him. I continued. But one day she went to far and.. I choked back tears. But one day she was too drunk and and she took me to the kitchen and beat my head on the counter. I started to bleed before I blacked out. Then you know.. I pointed to my ear and he nodded understandingly. But... I cut myself off before I could continue.

    No, continue. Please. He signed. I looked at him pleadingly but he didn't change his mind.
The doctor recently told me I had a chance, but I just have to get adopted to a rich family. Which won't happen for me so this, I point to my ear, will be like this forever.  Tears blinded my vision. Zach stared helplessly.

     I'm so sorry. He slowly signs and I force my face into his shoulder. He hesitates before putting an arm around me protectively and presses his chin onto the top of my head.

    I was the first to pull apart with my eyes red and puffy.

     Here come here. Zach signed. He led me to the part of the garden where the bare sky shone. I love how the black/blue contrasted so strongly with the white. He lay down on his back and tugged gently on my arm as I lowered myself down beside of him. And watched the stars that were stretched across the sky.

     It wasn't quite dark yet and he figured he needed to get home and I unwillingly agreed. We walked in silence all the way to the orphanage. Zach walked me inside. The other girls were in the main room watching their "show", whatever that consists of.

    They looked at me in distaste and jealousy. Some even had the nerve to wave and giggle, but Zach just ignored then nervously and turned toward me.

Coming to school? He asked me.

Not allowed. I reply.

Well, I'll see you later then?

Yeah I guess. He left and I was abandoned there in a room, where a bunch of open mouthed girls stared at me. I breathed and walked back out of the room and into the sleeping area.

My dreams were filled with the smell of the flowers and the gentle breeze from the garden. Pictures of the willows and magnolias flowed through my mind. Some things you just remember forever. And I feel like today will be one of them.

•••

More pillows?

I woke to more pillows piled on the bed beside of me, the one where Kacy used to sleep. My head shot up in alarm and I turned quickly to peek through the window. Was Kacy already back? What I saw made my heart skip a beat. A bright blond teenager, skipped out of the fancy car she came in with a smile printed on her face. Dark black outlined the top of her eyes and red lipstick. That's not Kacy.

    I pull away from the curtains and sit on my bed. My emotions were mixed and my head was buzzing. I reached over to the night table and pulled out my morning pills. I was suppose to take them with food, but with the new girls arrival I skipped breakfast with a granola bar.

    I was sitting in my bed when the new girl walked in. She turned her head and looked around the room disgustedly with her lips puckered. She looked at her bed, and then at me. I stared blankly at her not wanting to give off the wrong vibe. She didn't have a warm look on her face to begin with and I didn't think we would get along.

    She stomped up to me but I didn't flinch away only stared her blankly in the eye. I saw her mouthing things but I couldn't read her lips. It was like she was speaking another language. Or just had a strong accent. She pulled out a glass pad that I recognized and stared at it for a moment. Phones were strong privileges around here, but I had a feeling she didn't come from here. Only government agents would get phones and they were never as good as hers. Hers was flat and had no keyboard. A little button at the bottom and top.

    She continued waving at my face. I didn't think she would hit me, only tease me, but when her palm collided with my cheek I flinched back. She recoiled and stood there typing on her phone for a minute and turned back toward me.

   Are you a mute or something? She had typed. I shook my head no. One of the girls who had never been in particularly mean to me- I think Kacy said her name was Marly- said something. I couldn't read her lips well but I think she said something with deaf in there.

    The new girl looked at me and I just nodded. I turned toward my window and looked longingly out on the dirty, littered streets any normal person would avoid. But for me, it was my escape.