Chapter 4

Blaine decided to skip class on Thursday and Friday while he recovered, seeing as he was in a shit mood, and unable to walk around much anyway with his bruised side. Kurt urged him to visit the medical wing-Dalton Academy's was enormous, and Kurt figured it had to be since it catered to almost every sort of injury imaginable-and the fact that the boys at this school were...violent, to say the least. But Blaine continued to blow it off, shaking his head and murmuring a quick "I'm fine" every time Kurt brought it up.

Despite Blaine's refusal to seek actual medical attention, Kurt still tried to help Blaine with whatever he could, like sneaking him some ice from the dining hall along with his meals to help with his swollen bruises, and helping Blaine wobble around if he needed to go somewhere. The ice helped the smaller bruises fade a bit, but the hulking one at his side was still pretty serious and had turned a gross greenish purplish color. Kurt could tell that it was painful, but Blaine never complained, he even claimed that color meant it was healing. Kurt often found him trying to walk around the dorm in an attempt to regain his normal walking posture, teeth clenched together in pain. The sight alone made Kurt wince.

Even so, there wasn't much Kurt could do since Blaine was refusing to get help, arguing that he couldn't exactly explain how he'd gotten the injuries in the first place without rising suspicion. He was already treading on thin ice, and he didn't need another fight on his record. Kurt did his best regardless of the circumstances, even going as far as to collect Blaine's homework for him-but Blaine barely ever even gave the work a passing glance as it began piling up on his desk, and rolling his eyes each time Kurt dropped it off for him.

Though he and Kurt had been getting along much better, Blaine was still pretty tense. He rarely ever spoke unless he needed to, and remained painfully quiet for the remainder of the time. Kurt knew better than to attempt conversation with him at this point. Something was obviously on his mind he wasn't exactly eager to share, and Kurt really had no right to pry.

Regardless, Kurt decided that perhaps Blaine wasn't as scary as he'd once thought. Sure, he was still kind of intense with that ever-serious facial expression and dark, almost pained eyes-but never cruel or heartless as far as Kurt could tell.

Kurt still didn't know a thing about his roommate, but there were little things he picked up here and there that intrigued him, sparking his curiosity. He noticed some probably insignificant little quirks that may or may not have meant anything to anyone else, but to Kurt, they helped him paint a better picture of who exactly Blaine Anderson was as a person.

Kurt figured there were two sides to Blaine. There was a side that was cold and distant. And when he was like this, he was usually in a bad mood. His eyes were dark, slightly narrowed-almost frightening to look at, Kurt noticed. He acted polite when he was like this-to Kurt anyways-but Kurt made sure not say or do anything that could possibly trigger Blaine's short temper.

Then of course there was the ever-rare, lighter side of Blaine. It was the side that liked to tease, that liked to poke fun of Kurt. He was always smiling with that arrogant smirk Kurt had grown all too accustomed to. On rare occasions, if he got Kurt flustered enough, his smirk would break out into genuine laughter, and Kurt decided that that look was his favorite. He liked how Blaine's eyes would squint together, and his lips would curve up into a grin. His hard features would melt away, and he'd become...almost like a completely new person.

Kurt got to know both sides, and slowly began learning how to adjust to his new roommate, and knowing what to anticipate when he needed to.

It could all be in his head, but Kurt was beginning to think Blaine was adjusting to him, too. Sometimes out of the blue, Blaine would just ask Kurt random questions. Nothing serious, just simple, often times even silly questions. He never really answered any about himself though, Kurt noticed. Usually just muttered some vague response, or no response at all, which Kurt found strange. And he definitely didn't talk about what had happened the night he'd come back to the dorm all cut up and bruised, or how he'd gotten into that situation in the first place.