04 | Officially Employed

Start from the beginning

My voice was ever so casual. "Hi Logan, I'm doing good. You? Oh... me, busy?"

My eyes then looked up at Vanessa who was shaking her head violently—it almost made me laugh.

Continuing on, I said, "Oh no, I'm not. Sure, where?"

On my peripheral vision, I could see Vanessa's lips lift into a smile.

Logan said, "That's great. How about whatever is near you? I'll meet you there."

Thinking of a place, I clicked my tongue until Vanessa nudged my side. She mouthed out Brightside Café.

Giving her a grateful look, I suggested, "There's this place called Brightside Café. Does that sound good?"

"Oh yeah, I've heard of it. I'll be heading over there soon, so I'll see you there?"

"Yeah, okay. I'll see you."

Clicking the end call button, I turned my attention back to Vanessa. There was a problem to consider now. How was I going to meet up with Logan if I was the only one here at Lockhart's Pantry? I immediately noticed Vanessa talking to someone on her phone.

I heard Vanessa request, "Mason, I need you to do me a huge favor."

Of course, she'd ask Mason to watch the store. And of course, he'd do it for Vanessa.

✿       ✿       ✿

"Thanks for meeting me here. It's great to see you. Anything new with you?"

Here I was, in Brightside Café with Logan Valentino.

It surprised me, knowing that he beat me here even though the café was a block away from the market. I felt a little self-conscious walking inside, noticing that he looked more decent than my market clothes get up. His simple gray shirt was paired with a stylish blazer that complimented his dark washed jeans. Logan had great fashion sense—not to mention his short tousled black hair that showcased his dark blue eyes well.

Getting comfortable with where I was sitting, I smiled and said, "Nothing much, I've just been taking care of the market. And, you?"

Logan let out a sigh. "I've just been with school, all these projects being thrown by the professors. It's stressful along with the family business. Other than that, it's nice to have a break."

I couldn't blame him. I wouldn't be able to juggle all of that either.

The waiter came by with two hot drinks and some really delicious looking pastries. Once the waiter explained what each pastry was and left, Logan slid me the mug.

He said, "I hope you like hazelnut coffee."

I beamed, "I absolutely love hazelnut coffee. It's what I get here."

Logan grinned to his surprise. "Really? It's my first time trying it here. Hopefully it delivers."

I promoted proudly, "Trust me, Brightside Café has the best hazelnut coffee."

We both took a sip, and I noticed a satisfied smile form on Logan's lips.

He nodded after taking in another gulp. "Mm, you're right. Guess this is my new place to get this now."

Letting out a laugh, I couldn't help but tell him that I told him so. Things weren't so awkward anymore. We both ate the famous pastries at Brightside's, and as always, their pastries were made for perfection.