XIX - It All Comes Back Around

After Ronald and Scarlett were gone from the manor, Jasper still remained a bit confused by his father's sudden encouragement. He didn't quite know what to think of the man, but attempted to put it off his mind for the rest of the day. Ronald Lancechester now had the grandson he'd been looking forward to, so now there would never be a reason for him to bother Jasper again. Kissing his son's thin black hair, Jasper handed him off back to the nursemaid, and before he could get a word in, young Ava appeared in the threshold of the tapestry room. She wore a dress that matched her eyes, and her red hair was braided back into a tail, white stockings and slippers on her feet.

"Broderick!" she exclaimed, "Will there be a lesson today?"

The dark-haired man seemed to just remember that he usually had daily lessons in reading or math with Ava. He glanced off toward Jasper who remembered as well, and then, the master said, "Why don't we go out for new journals and utensils today? I've seen your material has taken up the majority of your papers."

"New journals?" Ava lit up, "That would be wonderful, but..." she smiled at Darcy who was still holding the baby girl in her arms. "May I stay home with Darcy and Juliette? I like to be around the babies, too!"

Jasper smiled with a nod, "Of course. Broderick and I will be out for a good portion of the day."

"You won't be eating breakfast?" Darcy asked. "Mr. Bunning is almost finished with it."

When the Master looked back at his lover as if asking if he preferred to stay for a bit longer, Broderick shook his head, and Jasper said, "We will be alright till later. Perhaps, we will grab something while we are out." Taking Broderick's hand, they moved out of the room and Jasper ordered to have the coachman prepare a horse and carriage.

When their transportation was provided, the Master declined an offer from Wade for him to come along if any assistance was needed, instead ordering the footman to keep an eye out for Lady Darcy. Since the babies were born, she had the habit of growing tired much faster than before, so Wade would be there to tend to her if she commanded anything.

As they climbed into the coach together, the Master sat down and Broderick took the seat across from him. Transported into the city, Jasper remembered how his previous night had gone. Taken over by such abrupt emotions that surprised himself, especially the harshness of the tears that'd shed from his eyes. It'd been a good while since the last time he cried so hard, and though he knew in his heart that what he had with Broderick was something he wanted, there would always be those times that crept up on him regarding Elijah.

It was something he had to live with.

Looking towards the man sitting before him, Jasper couldn't regret allowing his heart to fall for someone like him. Broderick was such a unique and loving man. His hands could be lethal, could be crushing even, but still they were mild enough to the Master, and he appreciated such a thing.

As the coach moved them along, Jasper reached for Broderick's hands and took them into his own. Theirs were so different from one another. Although Jasper had only known labor during the time his father had given him to another family, ever since he was ten years old, Jasper's hands knew no sort of work. His fingers were thin, flawless and without signs of exertion. Broderick's, on the other hand, his hands held clear signs of grind, and yet they were still so mild when they were upon the Master's body. Jasper saw this man he loved as someone he could only ever truly relate to on a single level: a level of loss, but that was all there was to it. Broderick had been a killer, a working man, and his effort could be told through the scars and conditions about his body.

The Master looked up into the jade eyes observing him. They were both of the nobility, but he could see from the tale written out in the other man's stare that they were completely different. But that wasn't such a bad thing, was it?