VIII - Never Let Me Go

Jasper hadn't slept so nicely in a long time, and he could rightfully say he felt rather refreshed the next day. He hadn't spent hours in his library during the night avoiding his lonely room, he hadn't shed a single tear at all, and he wanted to say it was all because of just how tired he'd been before bed, but that would have been a lie. Last night he'd gone to sleep with a smile on his face, a good feeling in his heart, and now that he was finally awake, his only wonder was when Timothy would join him again. Would the other man come this morning to share breakfast? Or perhaps during midday when they could have tea and enjoy the weather? There was always dinner like before.

After he was up, a bath was readied for Jasper by the servants, and he soaked in the hot water for a while, making sure to leave his foot out so the stitches wouldn't be disturbed. As he sat cleansing his body from the previous day, Jasper pondered on what exactly he and Timothy would spend their day doing. He didn't much want to go out and continue putting strain on his foot, so perhaps more music and stories were in store for them? Jasper would love to hear tales from Timothy's past. Of course, only those the dark-haired man was willing to tell. Never did Jasper ever want to put the man in an uncomfortable situation, so he wanted to learn the boundaries, where he wasn't allowed to venture regarding his past.

When the Master was finished with his bath, he dressed himself in the second half of his bedroom. He stepped carefully into black cotton trousers with y-back braces, a white high collared dress shirt along with a Paisley ascot and lavender silk vest. When the ascot was applied properly around his collar, he slipped his arms into a gray and dark violet coat. Once Jasper's blonde hair was tamed by his own brush, he let it flow freely down his shoulders, and made sure to grab his walking stick after stepping into buckled socks and leather lace-up boots.

After having breakfast with Darcy and Juliette in the dining room, Jasper went ahead into the library and sat down in his chair. For once, he didn't feel overshadowed by his sorrow after meeting the eyes of Elijah. All he did was sit down with a book he'd purchased from the bookstore in the city and read to his heart's content.

Hours seemed to pass as he went unbothered by anyone, only the sound of pages flipping and his occasional huff of laughter. That didn't last much longer after Jasper reached the final chapter of the book in his hands. Footsteps began to approach the library from down the corridor, more than just one pair, and while his first thought was the doorman coming to announce the arrival of Timothy, he was wrong when his name was called and the book was closed.

"Master Jasper," the doorman said from the archway, being sure not to enter the library as no one was ever allowed to. "You have a guest."

Jasper placed the book aside on the nearby table and stood, and when he met the eyes of this guest, his heart stammered from the near resemblance they held to a memory long tucked away in his mind.

Just outside the archway of the library stood the doorman as he lowered his head respectfully, and beside him was a young girl dressed in brown high-waisted trousers, and a baggy tan shirt tucked in around her, boots on her feet, and she had shoulder-length crimson red hair that matched that of Elijah's.

"Miss Ava Goode, my Lord," the doorman said before departing back to his post.

Jasper was frozen where he stood as the young girl stared timidly at him. She couldn't be any older than eleven or twelve at most, and she resembled almost exactly what Elijah had looked like many years ago in the woodlands of Brimonhive. Her face was a bit more feminine, but the manner she dressed, and the similar shade of hair shared in her family gave her a strong likeness to her elder brother.

"Hello," she said, her voice light, nervous, and she held her hands behind her back. "My — my father sent me looking for Jasper Lancechester."

"That is I," Jasper swallowed a lump in his throat. He came out from behind the large armchair and grabbed his nearby cane, limping to the doorway. "You are Xavier and Ella Goode's daughter?"