Chapter 2: Misplaced Grievances, Taken For Granted

-----☆Work Text:

Throughout the duration of the festivities and fancy clothes, everyone had talked about nothing else but the glorious priestess who had uplifted their spirits and helped them in every way she can despite of being nothing more than an apprentice. From the simplest of tasks like evacuating people, tending to the wounded and handing out food and blankets, to maintaining the wavering flames so that they would not freeze to death and fighting for their freedom and protection from the orcs.

A majority of the dwarves, men and elves inside this threshold wouldn't have made it if it weren't for the bluenette's extensive headstrong valor.

Her gallant heart and courageous efforts had surpassed any novice of her age and a handful of songs and cheers had been in her honor despite of her apparent absence.

Thorin Oakenshield owes her a significant part of his life, for if she had not intervened and bravely -albeit unnecessarily- took the blade Azog had for him, then he wouldn't have been here now to announce a toast for the lives that had survived and lead the songs of woe for those who perished. Neither Kili nor Fili would even be here now to seat on either side of him at the head of the long table laden with foods and drinks of all sorts.

He owes the entire blood line of Durin to the young girl whom he formerly thought was nothing more but an ambitious, curious, impetuous, and naive little human who knew nothing but ask unnecessary questions and use flowery words of promises to have her way. The dwarf never expected she would be able to match her oaths with equally fulfilling actions, he was and is still beyond surprised.

But seeing as she was nowhere to be found at the moment, he turned to the only person he could only assume knew of her whereabouts at the moment -even though he inwardly despises the idea in the first place, voicing out his gratitude seemed to overwhelm the dread somehow.

Spotting the blond elf standing at the side with a rather forlorn look on his face as he nursed a chalice of what seemed to be elvish wine, the king under the mountain had risen from his seat and made his way towards said elf,

"Prince Legolas, have you seen Lady Celine?" He voiced his inquiry without offering any form of pleasantry, not even feeling the tiniest bit guilty when he figured that he indeed startled the Sindarin prince who seemed so taken with his own thoughts earlier.

Piercing blue eyes dropped at the dwarf who stood evidently smaller than him, he felt too tired to even bother voicing his blatant dislike for their kind and so he only shook his head, "I have not seen her ever since the battle had subsided," then he thought about how he and Tauriel had searched the bodies with apprehension filling their veins and saw the concerned look on the dwarf king's face that he almost scoffed, "the only assurance we have at the moment is that she was not among the corpses that had been piled up, buried or burnt not too long ago. But I cannot think of any reasons as to why her survival should trouble you, king under the mountain." He sipped at his wine before crossing the room to settle his chalice on the wooden table in front of him.

Thorin had the sudden impression that the prince was actually testing his patience, and so he couldn't have helped himself when he came up from behind him and brusquely grabbed the elf by the shoulder to make the blond face him despite of their height difference,

"Unlike you, I am not blind to selfless efforts. You may claim to be wiser and more sophisticated than other races but your emotions are dreadfully calloused and nonexistent when they are needed to be manifested." The king's loud voice boomed, its intensity clear with unmistakable hatred for how the elf could so easily shrug off the unambivalent dedication that even he and his kind were able to make out of the priestess' trouble just to help the elven prince. Not only did she already have her hands full with himself and his party as well as the civilians, but the prince and the captain of the elven guards just couldn't stay out of trouble and she needed to come to their aid more times than she had the chance to evacuate the children and women of Dale.