The Beginning of the End

It was now dark, and I was shaking badly from the freezing temperatures. It was sometime in the middle of November and I don't know how I'm going to make it through the horrible winter if it continues like this. The gravel crunches underneath my feet, screaming as my boots stomp down onto them. I stop, mind not thinking clearly and lay against the side of the dirty building. The night was eerily quiet, a strange thing I have never heard in my entire life.

When I used to go to sleep at night, the noise from the street below always lulled me in to sleep, like a twisted, calming lullaby. In class when we had to take tests, outside she was bustling with noise as she sent her people to and fro around the city with their menial tasks. Simply taking a peaceful stroll through the park had its noises. She was a loud city, now she couldn't sing her lullaby to the dead and the terrified.

My city was never meant to be silenced.

Snow has started to fall, and I can no longer feel my legs or arms. Everything is starting to go numb except my chest, and I can feel its frantic attempts to save itself.

It hurts to breathe.

My brain thinks, and my vision is going blurry, grey tainting the edges like spilled paint. I try to move my hands but all I get in response is a sharp ache that shoots up my arms.

I guess this is it. Government is dead, and the city gone to hell.

I start to think of Ben. Dad and Christina. The last people in the world who I cared about. Who I made some of the most special memories with, that'll forever stay with me, to remind me that the entire world isn't like this. God, so much for happily ever after.

Oh god Ben.

I feel dead almost, in a indescribable way that only can be shown through tears and screaming; a feeling that tightens your chest in a way it almost hurts. My throat tightens and I blink away bitter tears that try to escape and look up at the night sky. Snow is falling harder from earlier, the large flurries starting to dust me with a thin layer. I notice something that's new in the sky.

The stars. I can actually see the stars.

I gave a short, breathless laugh. Amazement filling me. It's practically the freakin' apocalypse, and the one thing that catches my attention are burning balls of gas. I'm glad to know where my mind is set to. I smile, watching the twinkling stars that danced above me in their own world, and the full impact of sleep depravation is starting to fully kick in. As my eye sight starts to blur, body finally gone numb and blissfully painless, red fills my visions and it fades into black nothingness.

My name is Kylie Winser; no special middle name and I am a survivor.