-=+Chapter Ten: Window I+=-

The warm spring wind swept over the land, making dance partners of the tall grass and many diverse flowers. Trees that sparsely dotted the land waved in accordance, their shadows stretching and fading as the sun began to set. Light emerald grass was trodden down into paths, taken by many merchants and travellers entering and exiting the great city, yet no one walked them at this time. Everyone was inside with their families, everyone except two young girls. The two of them streaked across the land, one hiking up her frilled babydoll pink dress and pushing medium length light brown curls from her face, the other running while holding hers and the former's shoes and letting her long blonde hair stream behind her, contrasting with the dark blue servant's dress she wore over gold-coloured leggings. They ran towards the bridge leading to the large city gate, needing to get to their home yet at the same time dreading the scolding they'd both receive for staying out later than they ought to and by being outside the city in the first place.

     The brunette stopped at the foot of the bridge and ducked under it with her companion right by her side. Two sets of green eyes peeped over the edge, lighting up with relief when the two guards stationed at the front went inside the city for their rotation. The blonde handed her friend the shoes she'd been carrying and slipped her own on her feet.

     "Ender, this was a terrible idea." Ender huffed and moved to fix a portion of her friend's hair that had come loose.

     "The idea itself wasn't bad, it's just that we stayed out too late. Now let's go before the guards come back!" The duo jogged across the bridge, slowing to a leisurely walk as they approached the gate. Slipping into the shadows as soon as they were inside, the girls skirted some buildings and ducked behind others to stay out of sight. After a short while, they approached the castle. Golem guards eyed them as they walked past, but paid them little attention besides that.

     "FREYA! ENDER!" Both girls halted in their tracks, shoulders slumped. They were caught. From behind Al, alongside two other guards, stormed up to them with his usual haughty air turned sour. He was only three years older than the two thirteen year-olds, but he acted as though he were in his twenties. Being promoted to the Head Guard did nothing for his already inflated pride. Looking upwards Ender could see the King through a tower window, his eyes narrowed but mouth twitching into a small smile. If anything, the girls would get more of a scolding from Al rather than the King himself.

     "What were you girls thinking, being out so long? You've been expected back long ago!" Now escorted by guards, the group walked inside the grand castle. Stone and wooden walls were accented with purple banners, curtains, and many framed photos. The majority of those photos depicted the good deeds of the Gods, especially the favoured Lady Ianite, and served as reminders of loyalty. Countless other servants in the same attire as Ender rushed about, each hurrying to complete whatever task they'd been given.

     Princess Freya looped her arm in with Ender's. "We were just out for a walk, and we stayed out too long. Now, if you'll be so kind as to excuse us..." They started to walk towards the royalty wing, but Al's hand on Ender's shoulder stopped them.

     "Whatever girl things you planned on can wait. There's a new servant boy that needs training, and Ender's name was drawn to help him settle in and teach him the run of things."

     "Me again? I trained the last two new staff members! Aren't there any other names that that so-called draw, or are you just picking on me?" Al only smirked, irritating her more. Freya giggled, and looped their arms once more.

     "Don't be so sour, Ender. We'll go together." She shot Al a pointed glance. "And no one can tell me otherwise." They set off, slightly heeled shoes echoing along the grand hallways under they found the staff wing. There was significantly less traffic there, as most of the staff members were still working. The door numbers rose as they went along, reaching from tens to hundreds until door six hundred passed by. The castle wing was spacious enough that each worker had their own room, all in order from oldest to newest employed. Stopping in from of door six hundred and two, Ender rapped her knuckles on the door.

     "Coming!" Footsteps hurriedly came closer until the door swung open to reveal a boy looking to be their age. He was tall, and had charcoal black hair and soft brown eyes contrasting with pale skin. "Hi there. Are you Ender?"

     "U-um... yeah." She stuttered. From behind, Freya laughed at her friend's behavior. Upon seeing the princess, the new boy dipped into a bow before straightening up. He turned back to Ender.

     "I'm Allen. Someone named Al told me that you're training me. Does tomorrow morning sound good?" She nodded vigorously.

     "Right! O-okay." Freya pulled her away from the closing door, politely waiting until they'd turned the corner to burst out laughing. Tears sparkled in her green eyes from the comedy of her friend's behavior, and she doubled over against the wall. It was only a few moments before Ender was broken from her own stupor and giggled alongside her friend, less intensively but still laughing at her expense.

     "S-Someone has a c-crush!" Freya choked out, still hindered by her laughter. Ender's face flamed red.

     "Shut up!"

     "That's no way to talk to royalty, peasant."

     "Shut up, your majesty." The two walked back to the royal wing, laughing and pestering each other the entirety of the trip there and continuing on until the moment the Princess' bedroom doors closed and her friend stood on the opposite side in the late hours of the night.   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N - There IS a reason behind this. A VERY IMPORTANT reason. So, until it becomes clear over the next 17 windows that I have planned (that's how excited I am about these windows. I've pre-planned them all and I got too excited about them to actually sit down and write anything. Struggles.), you guys get to play detective! I'll post them every second chapter. 

Also I apologize for how short they'll be, some more than others. Since they're not a progressive story (hence windows and not super-important-side-story) they'll be a lot shorter than regular chapters. 

Enjoy the mystery of the #HappyEndings! -Pure