-=+Chapter Six+=-

I woke up to the smell of lavender filling my nose, the smell pleasant and vastly different from that of alcohol. Since when did my ship smell of lavender? Opening my eyes, I saw ascending knotted walls of oak wood, with green leaves just visible at the top. A ghost of a smile appeared at the irony; a pirate in a giant tree. Sitting up, I looked over to the opposite side of the room to see my coat hanging off a chair and a white shirt with black pants folded on the dresser nearby, as well as leather boots on the floor. Getting up and slipping them on, I found that I had to roll the shirt and pant cuffs up, as well as tuck the shirt in, otherwise I'd be fussing like a mud-covered princess to keep the articles in order. The boots surprisingly fit well enough, though long.

     Walking outside the room, I stepped into a circular central area with two pressure plates on each side. The room itself had minimal decorations, but the details in the tree trunk made up for it. I really ought to meet the Wizards soon; they may be able to build a new ship in case that Tucker fellow doesn't keep his word. I walked over to the pressure plate on my right, and the world went black for less than a second as I was teleported down to the floor below. The slapping sounds of a smile on wooden flooring greeted me, and I put a hand on the giant glass cage filled with small slimes. They were absolutely adorable, even I'll admit that.

     I made it to the bottom floor to see heavy rain thundering down. It was a miracle the tree canopy never leaked. To my right and under the overhang of the roof, Tom was pushing small pointed sticks into the keyhole of Jordan's doorknob.

     "What ye be doing there, Tom?" He jumped, dropping the sticks he was holding. The look on his face was reminiscent of a puppy caught in the act. He cursed lightly.

     "Oh! Capsize! I- uh... I'm fixing it."

     "Sure ya are. Run along, mate." Tom swiftly picked up all the sticks and walked away, mumbling to himself. I leaned against the house and watched him go, he rain plastering his hair and clothes to his body. After he was out of sight, I continued on to the beach containing the ruins of my ship. I had to find my journals.

     The wind whipped my hair and clothes around, and now salt water alongside the rain splashed me. The waves were immense, but tadpoles compared to others I've had to sail on. I kicked off my boots and shed my coat, keeping the rest of my clothes on in favour of how much colder the water will be today. I dived in, blinking a few times until I could open my eyes underwater. The wreckage wasn't far below me, as it had been docked somewhat close to shore. Pieces of my precious boat was scattered everywhere, and chests littered the seabed. None of that mattered, however, as I cared only for finding my desk. I quickly popped above the water for a breath, then swam under. As I got closer, I noticed that various holes had been blown in the hull, and one in the cabin. Glinting in the cascading beams of sunlight that were breaking through the storming clouds, my ink jar rested on the floor of the joint bedroom. I swam towards it, kicking my legs as much as I could.

     My fingers brushed the half-broken door frame, and I propelled myself towards my desk, which was thankfully still there. There were chips taken out of it and one leg was missing, but all the drawers were in one piece. I grabbed hold of the one drawer holding my journals, and started to pry it open. My lungs were starting to ache. The drawer was stuck. I put my feet on the desk and latched onto the drawer with both hands, and tugged it as hard as I could. It flung open, sending me backwards in a hurricane of papers. I peered inside, my eyes stinging from the salt water and my body screaming from lack of air. Had I not been underwater, I wouldn't let a few tears slip. They were gone, all destroyed. Papers were torn, covers had broken loose, and almost all the pages had lost their ink. I went to scream in frustration, but remembered where I was.