Chapter Ten

2004

After the date with Jane pops had got a call from his sister Caroline and decided it was a good time for us to all visit their elder sister Clara in Huntsville before school was back in session. We filled the truck up with a few bags and some camping equipment and I rushed over to Lilly's to say we were leaving but Jane answered the door in her apron.

"Hey is Lilly home?" I asked looking hopeful behind her into the hallway.

"Hi sweetheart no she's out at the moment, can I pass her a message" she asked taking her apron off and hanging it over one arm.

"Could you please tell her I'm going away for a few days and I'll be back after the weekend?"

"I sure will. Your dad rang me this morning about the trip I hope you both have fun" she said looking at me with the same green eyes I was in love with and flashing me a smile.

"Thanks" I said making my way back to the truck. Where could she be? Typical she wasn't home the one moment I needed her to be. I didn't like leaving without a word.

Pops was sat ready in the driving seat with the engine on.

"Pops I forgot to grab my phone and my makeup bag"

"I grabbed it for you it's in the back" he quickly responded waving me into the truck.

"Oh okay" I said jumping in as we pulled away.

I hated not being able to see Lilly to explain the trip. I already missed her from the moment we left the drive way. It wouldn't be until we made it to Aunty Clara's hours away that I would discover pops had left my cell phone at home, I was devastated. I kicked myself for not memorizing Lilly's number. The next three days at Clara's I spent my time faking my smile and counting down the minutes until we left. Sleeping in my cousin's tent with them at night was the worst. Marie and Sidney were so young they wouldn't get it. They still enjoyed these family trips, camping and being out on adventures, I was seventeen. I couldn't get Lilly out of my head I just needed to talk to her and check she was okay. On the last night I was a bag of nerves and excitement at the prospect of driving home and heading straight to Lilly's.

As soon as the sun rose that morning I was up and packed and sat in the truck ready to leave I hadn't even said my goodbyes. Pops came out to the truck and peeked through the window.

"What on earth are you doing its Six a.m. June Bug?"

"I'm ready to go is all" I said resting my hand under my chin.

"I have something to tell you sweetheart" Pops said almost hesitantly.

"What" I said my heart going at a hundred miles an hour.

He got in the truck next to me.

"It's your Mommas parents, your grandparents" he said taking my hand in his large palms.

"What about them?" I said pushing my hair from my eyes with my spare hand.

"They want to meet you" he said taking a deep intake of breath.

"They want to meet me after seventeen years?" I said stunned. I pulled my hand away from his and pushed them in-between my legs.

"I know it's crazy." He began holding up his hand "I spoke with your grandmother last night when you went to bed. They are getting old Em. They want to see you"

"I don't want to see them" I said crossing my arms. "Wait" I said turning in my seat to face him. "How did they know I was here? How did they get Aunty Clara's number?"

Pops shifted uncomfortably against the leather interior knowing what came next would come as a surprise. "They contacted me a couple years ago June Bug. I wasn't sure about letting them into your life but when they heard we were nearby they got in contact again. Your grandads sick Emery. I'm telling you June bug it's what your Momma would have wanted"

"But they abandoned her" I shouted

"I know but she never stopped loving them. You're their only grandchild Emery"

"They gave away their rights to see me when they abandoned my mother. Please Pops I don't want to see them" I begged.

"It's organized Emery. You're going today. They live only an hour south of here, and it's the perfect time. In a year you will be heading off to college and starting your own life. They may not be here in a year. Please bug it's what your Momma would want"

"It's not perfect for me, I need to get home today" I begged angrily.

"Don't be dramatic Emery. Its two more days out of your life what harm could that do. You can see your friends Monday"

It was this precise moment that changed everything, those two days would do more harm then I realized.