The Past

Elizabeth Brooks

UCLA, LA

3 years earlier

I entered into the apartment quietly. I decided that I would surprise Liam today since today was his birthday and I wanted to spend it with him. I had cancelled my plans with Sara and decided to stop by.

As I placed the takeout and cake on the kitchen counter, I heard moans coming from upstairs. I laughed to myself "always watching those things" I whispered quietly as I shook my head.

I made my way up the stairs as quietly as possible only to hear the noise get louder and much more real. When I heard the woman say Liam's name, I froze on the stairs.

I wasn't stupid; I was working in on my degree in finance but I didn't want to believe it. I didn't want to believe he would really do something like this.

"YESSSS..... RIGHT THERE....DON 'T STOP!! LIAM!! YES!! OHMYGOD!!"

"TAKE IT!" He groaned

I sat down on the staircase mindlessly. This wasn't really happening. I've known Liam since high school. We were always close but since we got into UCLA together, we started dating. He was attentive, loving, and kind... which all makes sense now. All he wanted was my virginity.

Then it hits me; that's what all men want. They will go to the ends of the earth to please you and tell you whatever you want to hear, but the minute you give them what they want, they fuck you over.

Tears fell down my cheeks before I could stop them. I wiped them away vigorously and promised myself never to cry over any man again. For all I cared, they could go to hell.

I pulled out my phone and dialed Sara's number. I needed to get out of here.

Jake Carter

CarTel Inc., LA

3 years earlier

"We need to talk" she pouted her beautiful lips as she spoke those words.

I sat down in my chair and looked up into her eyes, waiting for her to say what she had to.

Brandy stood tall in her six inch heels and tight dress that showed off her long legs. She flung her strawberry blonde hair over her shoulder, and looked down at me with long eyelashes.

"I have something to tell you. I can't hide it anymore"

"You know you can tell me anything. What is it?" I was beginning to get worried. We've been dating for years now. Her father and my father have been in business since I was born and we were expected to settle down together and have a family. A lot of pressure for a 22 year old but it's not much of a sacrifice; she's every man's dream.

"I met someone else"

"What?" I exclaimed, rising from my seat. She scurried over to the other side of my desk, trying to distance herself.

I composed myself; I squared my shoulders and placed on hand in my pocket; I placed my emotions aside and kept my face expressionless. I have to learn to keep my emotions in control. This business was brutal and I can't react like this if a deal doesn't pull through.

"When did this happen?" I asked with my tone as calm as possible.

"I met him last month when I visited France for the fashion show." She whispered from across the room.

"What's his name?"

"Do you really think I'm that dunce? I would never tell you his name" she replied. After long and uncomfortable silence between us, she walked over to me slowly; she took my face in her palms and kissed my lips. "I'm sorry Jake. I truly wanted this to work... but we want different things. Take care"

I watched as she walked out of my life... without even a glance backwards.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Picture of Jake ;)

XOX kay