Chapter 24: After the Storm Comes a Calm

Hope is not simply patience that passively suffers until the storm is past. Rather, it is a force that possesses all things; yes, with abandonment, but above all, with blazing, quiet strength.

*****************************

Beep.

It was a continuous ring that everyone knew.

The sound of a stopped heart.

"I'm sorry RJ, but we couldn't find a donor in time" So much for that miracle.

My tears fell

Hopefully, I'll collect enough of it and drown in my own sorrows.

Death

A word worse then 'Goodbye'

It was two years later after Maine's death, and still RJ kept on hoping. At times, he'd find himself on the residential intersection again, siting patiently on the side walk just to see if she'd come pick him up.

At other times he'd find himself in the diner, just to see if she'd walk through those doors and order her favorite sundae. And other times, he'd stare through his window for hours, just to see if she'd flick open the lights and stroll towards her desk to read her favorite book.

He knew that they'll meet again, someday, somehow they'll see each other. And when that time comes, they'll talk freely on the shore, dance with light steps on the beach, and soak underneath the blanket of stars.
There was still a spark of hope after all, because love will forever fan the flames.

*****************************

RJ smelled the salt-water air as the breeze brushed through his features.

It was just a dream, no, not dream; a nightmare. Gently prying his eyes open from his terrifying nap, his brain soon registered where he was.

The rooftop of the hospital.
The scene below him was mesmerizing and thought cleansing as he was enveloped in a sea of orange and red. It was the middle of the afternoon and the sun was hanging overhead as the birds began to flee. RJ wished he was like them, to fly away from all his problems, brokenness, and heartache.

RJ shifted his gaze to the paper airplane in his hand 'I must have dozed off' he thought. RJ didn't get that much sleep ever since yesterday, and though his body pleaded for rest, he wouldn't allow it. With a sigh, the boy gently guided the plane out of the hospital's rooftop, a tear trickling down his cheek.

RJ watched as the flying object circled around the air before gently swerving itself down to the concrete road below. He furrowed his eyebrows in dissatisfaction as he reached for the pile of paper beside him. With clean precision, RJ made twentieth airplane.

"What are you doing here?" a voice projected from behind.

Instinctively, he turned his head back to find his best friend sauntering towards him. With a smile and a shrug he turned back to the paper airplane "I'm trying to make this fly"

"Shouldn't you be with Maine right now?" Louise asked as she sat down beside him.

"Hindi mo naiintindihan Louise, I need to make this fly" A miracle for a miracle
He threw the paper airplane, and still, there was no change; it eventually stopped flying, just like all the others.

"Dammit, bakit ayaw mong lumipad!" He cried, tears brimming his eyes.

Once again, he reached for the pile of papers.
Quickly grabbing RJ's arm to prevent him from making another paper airplane, Louise softly spoke "R-RJ... it's impos..."

"Wag mo akong pigilan... please?" RJ pleaded with much pain in his tone.

With a sigh, Louise released her grip and smiled "Fine, but I guess I'll just have to help you with that" she started before grabbing a sheet of paper and folding it into a plane "We're best friends after all, we stick with each other no matter the circumstances"