Chapter Forty-Five

In the hotel lobby, I drink an extra large cup of coffee while Jared munches on a whole grain bagel and coconut water.

We share a table with some guys I don't know - I glean from the tidbits so sparingly offered that they're friends of Gen and Jared's - and they ramble on about sports or some such shit that I am completely and wholly unable to follow.

There's a gleaming, state-of-the-art chrome espresso station across the room, and I find myself staring at it with repressed longing. I imagine pouring myself a double espresso shot, swirling the stirrer to fully incorporate the chocolate sauce into the mocha, appreciating the thick layer of crema...

I sigh. I'd have to jog until the end of human civilization to work that off.

A few minutes into the conversation, a loud voice booming over the din startles me out of my reverie.

"What fuckery is this? Misha Collins?"

I tilt my head in deep scrutiny of the tall, blond man reaching for my hand, the gesture more than a little reminiscent of Castiel.

"Uh, hello."

"He's certified insane," Jared snorts inelegantly. "Don't mind him."

The man fixes him with a mutinous expression before turning back to me.

"Name's Jason," he explains, pumping my fist in an iron grip, "a friend of Jared's. It's great to finally meet you." He pauses before blurting, "I think you're hotter than nine hells and, fuck, I'm kind of your biggest fan."

I laugh self-consciously, rubbing the back of my neck.

"Aww, thank you. That's so sweet."

"-and don't worry, I'm not actually insane."

"Oh no? Because I am, and I think I've seen you at the monthly mixers." A red-haired man steps around him and reaches over to grasp my hand in a firm shake. "Andy, also a friend of Jared's. And just kidding, I'm the only normal one in this friend group."

"Huh," Jared harrumphs, cutting through the man's bullshit like a knife. "The cover story for the weekly Us insert begs to differ."

Andy shakes his head slowly, incredulously.

"Dude, I have scoured my memories of that night a hundred times for a photographer and I'm still coming up empty."

"Well, there was one. Might've noticed if you weren't so wasted."

I watch the exchange with a bemused expression, head swivelling between the two of them until Jared turns to me, absolutely earnest.

"Get this," he smirks. "So there was a full-page spread detailing the party, right? And the centre-most photo is a headshot of-"

"It was actual not a bad picture," Andy interrupts grudgingly. "Kinda hot."

He and Jason sit down at the table.

"Uh, you were gallivanting around at a fancy party, in the home of the head of the largest employer in the state, in your..."