~ Twenty Five ~

My head turned back and forth, searching frantically around the street for my pape–selling partner.

My breathing is unsteady and my heart is racing. I look across the street at Davey, who stands like I do, muscles tense and stance firm. He asks me from afar, "Where's Jack?"

Then, loud crashing begins to sound from down the streets. All of the Newsies' heads jerk at the noise, but run in fear shortly after.

That was eleven o'clock at night.

This is four o'clock in the afternoon.

~*~

When we arrive at the lodging house in Katherine's coach, we're greeted by all of the Newsies we left behind. They lead us inside where we find all the work is done and ready to go when we are. The tables are filled with satchels–just enough for everybody to have one. Flags and signs line the walls, all ready to go to battle. All the boys are covered in "war paint." I'm not sure if I want to know where they got it.

"Wow, Specs. You did a good job keeping everything in order here," Davey compliments Specs after we take a look at the Newsies' Lodging House.

"I did my best!" Specs grins, proud of his work.

"You got some papes for us to load into the satchels, or did we do all dis for nothin'?" A younger boy asks us.

"Oh, yeah. Almost forgot," I laugh at myself. I turn to the door and call out to Jack, who didn't come inside to greet everyone. I assume he is with Katherine. After calling his name a few times, with no answer, I go out to check on him.

I stop at the door when I hear him quietly laughing. It doesn't sound like Katherine was laughing with him. I turn to look outside a window and crack it open just a little to hear their conversation. Though there wasn't much conversation. Katherine stands on the sidewalk and Jack stands right in front of her, his hands on her waist. His smile lines go as wide as they possibly can. He truly looks happy with her.

Katherine, however, doesn't look happy. Her arms rest on his shoulders and she hangs her head. Not even in a cute, happy way. She doesn't even smile. Jack kisses her cheek and even her neck. So much, I have to look away for awhile.

Gosh, get a room.

Jack pecks her lips, but she barely lifts her head to look into those beautiful, blue eyes. He stops and stares at her in confusion for a little bit.

"Are you okay, Kath?" He tilts his head to try and look at her face, but she stares down at their feet, motionless, expressionless.

"Huh?" She looks up at him, finally.

"Is everything all right?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess," she shrugs.

"What's going on?" Jack takes her hands and holds them tightly.

Katherine looks like she's trying to decide if she should tell him how she's feeling or not. "I... Uh... I'm a little mixed up right now."

"Mixed up?"

"Yeah. Y'know. Confused."

"I know what it means. Why are ya mixed up?"