~ Twenty One ~

I sit inside my room, staring at the ceiling. I've been in here ever since the day I came back, since the day I told Jack about what I knew about Katherine.

My eyes travel to the doorway when I hear nearing footsteps.

"Hey," Davey's gentle voice speaks.

"Hey!" I sit up on my bed and smile at him.

"Where have you been? I haven't seen you in a few days." Davey sits next to me on my lumpy bed.

"I've been in here," I turn to face him. "I guess I didn't really feel the need to go outside."

"You didn't feel the need? It's been beautiful outside for the past couple 'a days. Is everything okay?"

I don't really know what to tell him. To be honest, no, everything is not okay. I'm in love with my best friend, but he's in love with someone else, my other best friend and I have been going out for a while, but I don't really know how I feel about him anymore. To add onto everything, I don't even have money to feed myself, and all of my Newsies are in danger.

"I'm all right," I completely lie to his face.

"Really?" Davey tilts his head at me, he's onto me.

"No," I sigh, and I try to figure out what to tell him, and how much I should tell him. "Jack is all stressed out about the strike. I mean, we all are. I just hope we can end it soon. Not only that, we recently found out that Katherine is Pulitzer's daughter, and--"

"What?!"

"Oh, right... You missed that didn't you?"

"I guess so..."

"Well, they confessed their undying love for each other on the rooftop a couple days off, and..." I quickly realized who I was talking to and stopped what I was saying.

"And?"

"And... I'm just worried it might get in the way of things, y'know?" I said, unsure. I could tell Davey was unsure of what I said, too.

"That makes sense...?"

"Davey, I... I need to tell you something."

"Okay? Go ahead," Davey turns to face me.

I sigh, afraid of what he might say. "Listen, Davey, I love you, I do. But..."

"But..." He sighs.

"Please let me finish... I want you to be my friend, but if we're together, I don't see that happening."

"What? Cory, we're great togeth--"

"Your family hates me. They don't dislike me, they hate me. I'll never be good enough for them. I have such a complicated life, the way I live, everything! You're going back to school soon. I'm not girlfriend material and I lo..." I had to cut myself off before I said it.

"And? And you what? Is there something else? Is there someone else?" He raises his voice, but he sounds hurt.

I simply nod my head, put my hand on my forehead, and mumble, "Yes."