A god?

The high priest carried some scrolls with him, an additional table was carried in by the large blind man, three chairs followed. Saorice and the high priest sat down, Dillon remained standing. The high priest rolled out a couple of scrolls, one had a map of her kingdom and another had a map of the world. This got her to thinking, she had no idea where she was now apart of it being some tomb. “I never asked earlier, but where are we?”

“Ah, that its the tomb of high priest that came before me.”

“Bu are the priest not buried in the church yard?”

“They are now and have been for the past two hundred years, this tomb predates the city itself and even the palace. I doubt you would know this, but the palace and the city were built on top of a much older and more advanced city. There are miles of tunnels interconnecting to various tombs and chambers. Each high priest had been passed down with the knowledge and histories found inside. The criminal element would love to have access to these underground halls. Not only do these tunnels crisscross the city, they run as far as some of the nearby villages. That’s how large the previous city was. This chamber has the  High Priest from that era another have kings and queens. I tend to come here  for contemplation, being near my dead predecessors makes me think I am absorbing their knowledge.”

“Why do you think they are more advanced?”

“I had been told by the previous head priest about it, but I had seen some of the things that they created. Its hard to believe that they could last so long.  A light powered by winding an arm, a steel ball with sparks of white light and a writing utensil where you do not have to dip a nib in a pot of ink. Those are something of the things I had seen and none of it created with magic.”

“If they’re so advanced, why are they not around now.”

“I’ll reveal that to you soon.”

Dillon started to walk off.

“Where are you going boy?”

“This is not a matter for a commoner, so I’ll take my leave.”

“Nonsense, you are most directly involved and will be part of the solution to the coming darkness.”

Dillon pointed at himself. “Me?”

“You more than anyone else.”

“People have started taking notice of you, my brothers you had met the other day along with the Dretchmorns.  There are many other groups that will be seeking you out.  I only received this knowledge yesterday.  I did know that Saorice was a key figure to battle the darkness, wedding the church would have put her under my protection as well as the gods. It was lucky that Jermain only knew that this countries Royal line could prevent the darkness from unfolding. If he had known that you Dillon was a key to the future he would have tried to persuade you to join him and whomever he serves.”

Saorice brushed her fingers on the groves of the wooden table. “the did say he served his lord and he also had the same dagger as those creatures and the same poison.”

The priest pursed his lips. “I had a look at the dagger you brought and indeed it looked the same, but the daggers look very much like a dagger I can procure from one of the weapons vendors in town. The poison however is more of a problem. You either make it yourself or buy it from a disreputable person. I don’t think Jermain would deal with those things in the city walls, but he may serve the same master as they do. He may not even know about them, they were after Dillon so their tasks were separate. I would love to know who had been guiding them.”

Dillon looked at the maps on the tables. “Why did you bring these maps?”

As you know Bradon is bordered by four countries.  and the great ocean.  Khalad sits on the eastern border, to the west is Frenom and on the north lies Droce and Drance.  Each country has been building arms and storing resources. Not one of them mean to attack us, they’re preparing for something far worse.  The High Priest pointed at the world map. “This map is far from complete but is more detailed than any sailor map. As you can see there are oither land masses separated by the great ocean and smaller seas. Only one of outside our land is home to humans.  The others are of different races and one of them is the motherland of some of the darkspawn we find here. Hulgronts, Drems, Dretchmorns and even the lightborn live on these other lands.  My brothers have reported movement happening in these countries, though their concern are with the darkspawn and the Dretchmorns, they have no idea how the other countries stand. The gods will be watching everything unfold and movements will be influenced with their presence.  We have many gods that we worship, they may cause death and destruction, but none of them are evil, however there are other gods out there. Ones not taught by the church. They are evil, greedy beings who seek to enslave the world. The one thing that we can count on is that they, like our gods fight amongst themselves.”