Chapter 27- That Was Enough To Make Me Feel Infinite

Start from the beginning

Anyway, since I was all alone last night and had the house entirely to myself, I called Mason to see if he could come over but sadly, he couldn’t. Well, he said that his bodyguards said he couldn’t come over because the roads are too icy and the snow was falling way too hard and they didn’t “want to jeopardize his well-being” or something stupid like that. I guess I could understand that though. During the winter/fall season around here, it obviously snows a lot and the roads always ice but it’s pretty bad at nighttime and if you’re not used to driving on the icy roads, you probably shouldn’t just try to for the first time at nighttime. So since he couldn’t come over, we just FaceTimed and talked for a really, really long time and we didn’t hang up until around 2 a.m. but I didn’t actually fall asleep until something like 3 a.m. and here I am, being forced to wake up five hours later. We can actually even thrive on five hours of sleep? Not this girl, that’s for sure.

Suddenly, a loud blaring noise sounds and I let out a startled yelp, effectively falling out of my bed, nearly smashing my head against my bedside table. My eyes pop open and I glare at my idiot best friend, taking a pillow from my bed and tossing it at her roughly.

“There’s no need to be physical, Aria,” Clark laughs, jumping out of the way of the pillow before it can actually hit her.

“Where the hell did you get a freaking air horn from?” I mandate, eyeing the small can of pressurized air with the red nozzle that Clark’s holding in her hands.

“You can get basically anything from that Supercenter Wal-Mart down the street,” She tells me pointedly then walks over to me and I notice then that she’s dip-dyed her long brown hair again. First the ends were purple, then they were dark blue, then they were blonde and now they’re hot pink. Clark reaches her hand down to me and helps me to my feet before clapping her hands together. “Happy birthday, Ari!” She bellows happily, throwing her arms around me. “You’re eighteen today!” Clark tells me, as if I didn’t already know that.

“Thank you, Clarkey,” I reply with a light laugh as she pulls away.

“You’re welcome,” She replies chirpily, running her fingers through her hair. “Now, come on, get dressed so we can go to school—  choppy chop, we don’t have very long,” Clark commands.

“In celebration of the fact that I’m now a legal adult, I think I’m going to skip today,” I respond, dropping back down on my bed. “My birthday comes only once a year and it’s at the beginning of the year too,” I remind her. “I deserve this.”

“Yes, of course you do and I deserve a Bentley for my nineteenth birthday next year but I’m not going to get one and you’re not going to get to stay home today so get your ass in the shower and then get pretty and whatnot and then come downstairs—  got it Austin?”

“Got it Robinson,” I confirm, rolling my eyes at my best friend, feigning irritation.

Sure, as much as I’d love to skip school and just sleep all day, I know my oh-so stubborn best friend isn’t going to let that happen but I’m obviously not actually mad at her. That’d be a really stupid reason to be mad at her. I really can’t afford it either, to be mad at Clark, seeing as how she’s really my only friend these days. Well, you know aside from Mason, Shawn and Wyatt, but they don’t count because they’re boys and I can’t talk to boys like I’d talk to girls.

“Be downstairs in twenty, yes?” She says, skipping back over towards the door and pulling it open.

“I’ll be downstairs in twenty,” I laugh and motion my hand for her to go, which she does, closing the door behind her.

When Clark is gone, I go over to my closet and pull it open, rifling through it for something to wear. Obviously, today’s my birthday, which means that today is January 18th and that it’s been exactly two weeks since Alec, Shawn, Clark, Mason and I left California. For the most part, everything has been just fabulous and for these past fourteen days, I’ve been spending a lot of time with Mason (mostly because he’s leaving soon to go to Tahiti for a couple of weeks, where he’s going to be with Lucifer’s daughter, aka Brianne Blossom, so that they can finish filming their movie).