Owen

Checking to make sure that the motel I was going to was open tonight, I turn off my phone and get up, satisfied that it was open 24/7. After that, I start walking up the stairs to my bedroom. On the way, I pass by my father's empty room and involuntarily shudder. I'm so happy that I was going to finally leave him. Now that I just turned legal age, I could finally leave without my father being able to control my life.

Of course, no one knew that yesterday was my birthday, besides Sean. It was times like those that I was happy to have him as a friend. Going into my room and finding my hidden backpack, I made sure I had everything.

Clothes? Check

Spare glasses? Check

Car keys? Check

Shoes? Check

Wad of cash? Check

Cell phone? Check

Sure that I had everything, I left my house and drove to Sean's. I had to say a proper goodbye to him. After all, he did remember my birthday. Stopping in front of his house, I parked my car and went up his front steps. Ringing the doorbell, I wait patiently.

"Good morning, Ms. Green," I say politely as she opens the door.

"Oh, Owen! Good morning! Do you want to come in and see Sean?" she asks.

"Yes, please. Thank you," I say and walk into the house. Knowing exactly where Sean's bedroom is, I walk to it in the span of a few seconds. Opening the door, I see him studying at his table, as usual.

Noticing me barge into his room, he looks up and asks, "What do you need, Owen?"

"Nothing. I was just coming to tell you something," I answer.

"Oh, what is it?" he asks while pushing back from his desk and starting to spin in his chair.

"I've come to tell you that I'm running away," I answer, nervous of what his response would be.

Sean suddenly stopped spinning in his chair and faced me.

"Say what?" he says and looks at me like I've grown two heads.

Clearing my throat, I repeat the statement.

"Lock the door," Sean says.

I comply.

"Does this have to do with your father?" he asks as soon as I lock it.

"Sean, you know I've been wanting to leave my father ever since he killed mother. He wasn't even charged when the police found her body! No one would believe me when I tried to tell them he was the one who killed her! Do you know what they blamed her death on?" I ask him furiously.

"Suicide," I growl.

"They blamed her death on suicide! They gave up as soon as they saw her with the gun, my father used to kill her, in her hand! He blamed her death on herself!" I shout with tears brimming in my eyes.

"And ever since then, he's been abusing me day after day and I can't deal with it! I need to leave! I need to find an escape!" I continue yelling.

Regaining my composure, I say, "That's why I came here, Sean. I've come here to say thank you for being my friend. Thank you for being my backbone. Thank you for actually being there for me when no one else was. I've avoided committing suicide because of you. And for all of that, I give you one last huge thank you because you've made my life better."

Sean, who now has tears rolling down his cheeks, replies with, "It was my pleasure, Owen."

Feeling satisfied with our conversation, I pull him out of his chair and give him one last bone crushing hug.

"I'll miss you greatly," I say while pulling back.

"Not as much as I will," he says with a glint in his eyes. I immediately narrow my eyes at him. I know this look.

"Sean, what are you up to?" I ask suspiciously.

"Nothing," he replies with an innocent face. Though this expression could fool any other person, I knew that he still meant trouble.

"Sean," I say warningly.

"Oh, look at the time! It's time for you to leave," he says and then kicks me out of his room.

What a great way to say goodbye I think to myself while shaking my head.

After saying my last goodbyes to Mr. and Ms. Green, I leave the house and walk to my car.

It was time to say goodbye to this life and hello to my new one.

Straightening the tie on my neck, I open the car door and get in. It was time for an adventure.

----------------------------

Hey guys! Sorry this chapter was really short. I needed it to be this short in order for the next chapter to make sense. *wink wink

See you in the next chapter!