Chapter 11-Dancing With Fire

There was people everywhere.Fire trucks and ambulances covered the street.I hopped out of the bag and ran behind a car.

I crawled underneath and rotated my ears.Above me a woman and a firefighter were talking.I lifted my head to hear better.

"Please!My daughter is still in there!You have to help!"Tears were streaming down her face as well as a look of distraught.The firefighter shook his head.

"Sorry ma'am.The entrance is blocked.There's no way to get in there."

Ok,so usually,the old me would have shook her head and thought that was it.There was no way to save her,but something sparked in me since the incident.

I don't know wether it was the fox or the power,but I knew one thing for certain.I was not letting someone go through the same pain.

I scurried around them and ran towards the building.I glanced around and saw the team.I knew I should yell or tell them but I looked at the building again.

I was the only person who could get in before it collapsed.The fire seemed to dance around my eyes.Flashes of the car on fire filled my mind.

I shook the thought out of my head and without hesitation I ran into the apartment right before it caved in on me from behind.I coughed as smoke filled my lungs.

I heard a tiny plead of help.I ran towards the noise and saw a little girl cowering in the corner.She had a blonde ponytail with a pink dress covered in ash.

I ran to her as I quickly switched to my human form.She looked at me with shock.I knew she couldn't have been more than 6 or 7.

"Hey,what's your name?"I ask trying to calm her down.

"S..Sarah."She said with innocent eyes.I nodded.

"Ok,Sarah.Im going to get out you out of here but you got to trust me.You understand?"Sarah gave a slight nod as I glanced around.

There was a piece of ribbon on the ground covered in soot.I shook it off and handed it to her.

"I'm going to change into a fox and I need you to tie this to my neck.Whatever  you do,don't let go."The little girl nodded as I transformed.

She quickly tied it on and gripped tightly to it.I had to get her out of there and fast.I swerved through the rubble making sure nothing happened to the girl.

The floor above collapsed in front of us as fire blazed through my eyes.My heart quickened as I shifted through a small opening.

Sarah crawled behind me as we got towards the entrance.There was no way out,not with Sarah.

My mind raced.I had to get her out.I did the only thing I could think of.Kid Flash had told me the green girl could speak telepathically.I inhaled deeply and gave it a shot.

"Hello?Can you guys hear me?"

"Wait Caitie?What are you doing here?"Someone I didn't know answered back.

"No time to explain.Listen,I'm stuck in the building with a little girl.Please hurry."

I felt the connection cut off.Sarah was coughing from the smoke and fell to the floor.

I transformed into myself again and held her up."No resting.Just hold on for a while longer okay?"

I didn't look to see if she heard me as fire started surrounding us.I gingerly picked her up and looked around me.

The fire was caving in on us and it was like the air had been sucked out of the room.I coughed and leaned against the wall.

Hurry.I thought as I sank to the floor.Please.Stars danced around my vision as once again I was greeted by darkness.