Chapter 7

‘So what are we practicing tonight?’ Ivy asked eagerly. 

‘Why so eager?’ Kai asked suspiciously, fixing a puzzled gaze on her.

Ivy shrugged. ‘I...just am?’

Kai studied her. 

‘You’ve been talking to the Alder leaves haven’t you?’ He finally said. 

Ivy gaped at him. 

‘How...how did you-’

‘I can see the effect they’ve had on you. Unnerving little things.’ He muttered

‘They’re not unnerving.’ Ivy protested. ‘They just...give it to you rather straight.’ 

‘Apparently thats not all they do.’ He glanced up at her. ‘What’s on your mind Ivy?’

Its like he can see right through me. She thought, his penetrating gaze burning through her. 

‘They told me about proving myself to the clans.’ She finally admitted reluctantly. 

‘Ah. The clans.’ He echoed, nodding his head understandingly. ‘Don’t rush it Ivy. All in good time. Plus, I believe you need the time.’ 

‘What do you mean?’ Ivy asked. 

‘To sort your life... or should I say lives out.’ He looked at her just as she glanced away. 

Biting her lip, she focused her gaze on the swaying night shadows of the trees. Anything but Kai. 

‘Is there anything you don’t know about me?’ She muttered irritated. ‘Did you like research me or something?’

Kai laughed. 

‘I’ve been around for a long time.’ He answered, his eyes twinkled despite the fact that it was night. ‘I’m sure the plants have told you. I’ve been through it all. I know what it’s like to be torn between two lives; one which you now appreciate for its simplicity and the other for its strange but fascinating mysteries.’

‘Can they really not know?’ She whispered. ‘My mom and sister? Just them? Is that too much to ask?’ 

Kai hesitated for a second. ‘If it means getting accepted by the clans, then unfortunately; yes.’ 

Ivy let out a gust of tense air.

‘Wow, its really one or the other huh?’ She muttered bitterly. ‘Not even something you can hold on to.’ 

‘Leap of faith.’ Kai agreed. ‘Thats the way it is.’ 

‘How much time can you buy me?’

‘As long as you need.’ Kai replied definitely. ‘Whether they stand by your side is one thing, but you are Mother Nature, that no one can deny.’ 

Ivy tried for a smile at his words. But she knew one could ever know how much time they had left. She knew that after her father had passed away. 

Ivy sighed, got up and dusted off her hands. 

‘Teach me all I need to know.’