Chapter 2

‘Ivy!’ 

A sharp, urgent voice pulled her back into the present as her eyelids flew open. 

‘W-what happened?’ she asked frantically, her breaths coming out in short panicked gasp. ‘whats happening to me? My arms, they were- I was-’ she broke off, her voice crackling, tears threatening to flood.

‘Shh its okay.’ Kai whispered as he put one arm around her. ‘you’re okay. You’re fine.’

‘You weren’t there!’ she snapped angrily as she jerked away from him ‘whaton earth did you do to me?’ 

‘You’re in shock. You need to-’

‘Tell me what you know you fucking bastard!’ she screamed. 

Kai opened his mouth, but then seemed to think better. His shoulders sagged slightly. Ivy glared at him; waiting. 

‘It’s complicated.’ he said finally. 

‘You think?’ she said sarcastically. ‘Speak you idiot. Tell me.’ 

He sighed. ‘Fine. You know how we personify nature by calling her Mother Nature?’

‘I’m really not in the mood for a english lecture Kai.’ 

‘Thats not the point.’ he raked his hand through his hair. ‘For years we have described it as a super natural force, the natural course of nature; something beyond the power of mankind. But there is a legend that says when the son of Oblivion was born; Hell, a daughter of Heaven was created by the angels to balance out destruction; Mother Nature.’ 

Ivy glowered at him. ‘So?’ 

Kai made an impatient noise. ‘Don’t you get it? You’re Mother Nature.’

There was a short gap of silence. 

Ivy burst out laughing. 

Me? Mother Nature? Do you even know what you’re saying?’

Kai folded his arms, pushing out a line of lean muscle. 

 ‘I’m serious Ivy. You think I’m joking?’ 

Damn right I do!’ she gasped as she clutched her stomach. ‘Please. You really think there’s someone who can control all the elements? Not to mention a human being?’ 

‘I do. And I can prove it.’ he answered quietly. ‘Look at the snowdrop.’

Ivy had completely forgotten about that. When she looked down, she found that the snowdrop had grown to the size of her shoe. 

She nearly fell off the bench. 

Am I going crazy? She recalled the situation of the leaf in her bedroom windowsill. Surely that can’t be a coincidence as well? 

‘Now do you believe me?’ he asked, bending over to pick up the snowdrop.  

Ivy shook her head in bewilderment. 

‘Wait, are you saying that-’ she pointed at the snowdrop ‘-was all me?’ 

Kai nodded. ‘You have the power to make things grow, one of your many powers to come I’m sure. But along with that immense power comes danger. Because you are untrained, you almost dissolved into The Diffusion.’