Chapter 9

A little while later, the group reached the edge of the grove. Malek held up a hand to halt them.

"So which way?" He asked.

"This was your brilliant idea," Jason said sarcastically, "so you tell us."

Aleena closed her eyes then frowned, "I feel something unsettling in this place," she began, "can you sense it?"

Malek shrugged, "not really," he responded sounding unconcerned.

Landon gave him a serious look, "take this seriously Malek," he scolded, "Aleena has some of the sharpest tuned senses I have ever known."

"Maybe she is just paranoid," Malek replied, "because I can't sense anything out of the ordinary."

Jason slowly spoke, "well I don't know who is right, but we don't have any other option right now."

Aleena glared at him, "can your senses be so weak," she demanded, "this very grove radiates evil energy."

"Well what do you think we should do professor?" Jason retorted.

Malek snorted, "good one Jason," he began, "you really-"

He was cut short, lifted in the air, and began  grasping his neck struggling for breath.

"Aleena stop this childish behavior at once!" Landon demanded.

Aleena turned to glare at him still holding Malek suspended in the air.

"Aleena!" Jason protested, "he can't breathe!"

Malek flailed helplessly for a few more seconds,  and his eyes began to roll into his head. Finally, just as Malek began to lose consciousness, Aleena let him drop to the ground.

"Aleena what's wrong with your eyes?" Jason said taking a step back from her.

Aleena's normally sea green eyes shown yellow. She took a step backward looking dazed, "I can't control it-" she gasped before collapsing to the ground.

================================

One hour later...

Aleena woke with a start. She looked around frantically, trying to figure out where she was.
She closed here eyes trying to remember what happened. There had been a fight, that much she was sure. Then she must have gotten angry and attacked one of her comrades. She frowned, it wasn't often that she lost contort of her anger. Almost never actually, so what happened?

She turned around identifying her surroundings. She saw hundreds of dead, blackened, trees all around her. The wind blew eerily causing the trees' branches to sway ominously. The sky was completely dark, not a star in the sky.

She stood up, walking to one of the oldest looking trees, then reached out a hand and felt the bark.

Cold.

The tree was dead. But she felt something faint, deep within the heart of it. She leaned forward and concentrated on the faint source. Slowly a quiet whisper began to emit through the bark.

"Pain...Pain...PAIN!"

Aleena jerked her hand back, and the whispering died away. She stepped back, shivering, beads of sweat on her face.

Suddenly, the wind began to pick up speed. The trees shifted restlessly, and a dark form was visible in front of Aleena.

Aleena's eyes widened, as the figure began to take a solid form.

"You!" She gasped, "but that's impossible!"

The figure's form began to shake, and an un-earthly sound filled the clearing. Evil laughter.

The sound echoed into the night...

Hey guys Legend here. Sorry for lack of updates. School takes up too much time. But anyways I'll hope you enjoyed this chapter. Talk to you later, Legend out.