Chapter 8: Attack on the Colony

Leo

As we exited the building, every single mutant in the colony was either taking shelter by going further underground, or crowding into hidden elevators on the far end of the place, preparing for battle. It was pure chaos, which is the only way I could describe it. Hazel and I stood helplessly in the middle of it all, waiting for someone to tell us what to do. Did things like this always happen here? Were they even really prepared for a big emergency like an attack on the colony?

Maxine spotted us and rushed over to where we stood. She was wearing a skin-tight purple jumpsuit that made her look even more petite in size. As I looked around at everyone, I noticed that almost everyone heading towards the elevators were wearing purple jumpsuits. I figured that must be their uniforms. Great, looks like I'm going to be wearing one of those soon.

"Guys, you need to go hide underground where those people over there are going! You'll be safe there while the Mutant Army can inspect what's going on!" Maxine yelled over the crowd, pointing towards an open hole in the ground that looked like an underground bunker. Many of the remaining mutants who weren't soldiers were already pushing themselves down there.

"But Dr. Baker said me and Leo were apart of the army too. Why can't we go help too?" Hazel asked her, with her forehead wrinkled in confusion. I gave her a questionable look, because I thought she was crazy to ask a stupid question like that. She didn't possibly think that we could go up there right now, did she? We've never done anything like that before, and we could be killed in an instant!

"Hazel, you and Leo are inexperienced and are only in training right now. You have to stay down here to avoid injury, or even death," Maxine assured her, sounding a lot like Dr. Baker. I agreed with Maxine, but as for Hazel, her stubborn-self wouldn't let anything stop her from doing what she felt was right. I admired how brave she was, but at times she got way out of hand.

"Maxine, wait-" Before Hazel could protest, Maxine was dragged away by another mutant dressed in a jumpsuit, and rushed her to the elevator. You could see the look in Hazel's eyes that showed she was determined to get inside one of those elevators.

"Hazel, you're not thinking about sneaking up there, are you?" I asked her nervously, already knowing what she would say. This girl was more curious about everything than I was. There had to be a logical reason for her wanting to go up there so badly.

"Of course! Leo, aren't you curious to see what's going on above this place? Don't you want to know who we're fighting against? I actually want to know what's going on, for once!" Her voice rose as she said this, trying to make her point clearly. Hazel's face was serious, yet pleading. And it worked too, because she had a good point. If we were staying here, then shouldn't we know who and what we're dealing with?

"I get what you're saying, but we don't want to get caught. We could get kicked out of here or worse, get killed while we're out there! I don't want to risk that, Hazel." I was being honest with her. I didn't know what I'd do if Hazel got hurt or killed.

Hazel studied my face, like I had something on it. Then it occurred to me that she was reading my mind. I could tell because her eyes slowly turned the signature violet color that occurred when her powers were being used. Hopefully, she won't dig too deep and find out how much I was worried about her. I realized she was still looking at me straight in the eyes, and my face turned pink. Ugh, good job Leo...

After awhile, she said sincerely, "Leo, don't worry about me so much. I can take care of myself."

I sighed and argued, "Hazel, do you remember when you cut your arm on that rusty old swing set on the playground when we were twelve? I told you that you to go get it checked out so it wouldn't get infected. But you refused to go and remember what happened? You're arm got infected and you were sick in the hospital for almost a week! I just want to make sure you don't get hurt, because I know how stubborn you are."

Hazel glanced down at the faint, pale scar on her arm from the old cut. She knew I looked out for her all the time, but she hated the fact that I sometimes didn't give her enough space. Her independence was important to her, and I tried my best to let her have it. Her soft voice muttered, "You're right. I know I'm stubborn and you're just trying to be a good friend. But don't you want to find out answers too?"

Before I could protest again, I decided to just let her have her way. I'd never hear the end of it if we didn't get to go. Besides, I really did want to go and explore, or possibly find out some answers about this whole situation. Maybe it won't be so bad to be above-ground again.

I sighed and replied, already regretting what I was about to say, "Okay, we can go."

What scared me was that mischievous look on her face whenever I let her have her way. This time, she looked almost too determined. Have I made a huge mistake? Yes, yes I have. And am I going to do anything about it? Nope, I shamefully thought to myself. I glanced over at Hazel's face and saw her smirking at me. Of course she heard that.

"Alright, Hazel. Since you clearly got your way and we're sneaking above ground," I begin, losing my patience with her already. "You have to think of a plan. How do you suppose we sneak up there?" I cocked an eyebrow at her, waiting for her response. This should be good.

"Easy. Just follow me." Hazel gestures for me to follow her to God knows where, and I take a few hesitant steps before I try to protest one last time. She beat me to it, though. The clever telepath knew what I was going to say before I even had a chance to open my mouth.

"Stop worrying so much. Have I ever gotten us stuck in a situation before?" Her question brought so many of our stupidest experiences (caused by her, of course) to mind, I didn't think I could say them all without my head exploding.

Anonymous-

I set up a small camcorder, taping it to a cheap ladder to secure it, and thought of what to say in my video journal for today. Today was the big day and I had so much to say, but I only had five minutes to record it all. We had to prepare to leave soon. So I pressed the record button, and I sat myself down on a stool.

"Today is January 20, 2017. I calculated the correct date, although no one really keeps up with the date or year anymore. Times have gotten even more difficult since I last spoke to this video journal, which was nearly three months ago, if I remember correctly," I stifle a light chuckle as I say this. Wait, no one laughs out of humor anymore. Was I going mad, perhaps? I sigh and continue:

"Anyways, I just wanted to remember this day for future reference, because it's the day me and my followers will finally invade the Mutant Colony. Ugh, how disgusting they even think of something like that. They really think mutants have hope anymore? How outrageous. That's why the rebellion must be stopped. All mutants must join me, and together we can rule this abandoned society. Mutants need to stay together, like the brothers and sisters they are. After all, they are my children and I created them to save this society of its terrible ways and judgment! REBELS WILL DIE!"

My amount of rage caused the camcorder to explode. My powers get too strong when I'm angry. But I created all my children to be like me. I know all their abilities, and I even developed most of their abilities. This is why my powers get so strong, because I have so much of it. It sometimes frightens me, but then I remember that I can't die. I am immortal.

My powers give me immortality. Sadly, the rest of the mutants aren't like me.

Therefore, we should make some changes to this bitter world we call Earth.

"Dr., we must head out now," a soldier said, poking his head in the doorway. Yes, it is time.

My name is Dr. Charles Evansby, and I am the creator of the mutant race. My mind replays over and over again the one thing on my mind, rebels will be punished, rebels will suffer, rebels who rebel against their own kind will die.