Oregon

Chapter 11: Oregon

In the morning, I woke up to a shrill honking noise.

"M...mwoh...?" When I looked at my alarm clock, it was already nine.

"This is bad! I'm definitely late!"

Even while I was hurriedly changing into a suit, the honking continued as if to hurry me more.

"Gosh, araso!" I was changing into my suit while brushing my teeth. I grabbed my make-up set and flew out of the room while pressing down my bed head.

When I left the foyer, I saw a car right in front. Timidly, I looked inside. My brother, not looking very happy ,was still honking the horn.

"Mianhae! I slept in!"

"You're late! Didn't you set your alarm clock properly?"

"That's why I said mianhae! Let's hurry up and go, okay?"

"Man..."

Like that, we departed for Oregon.

Even after a while, my brother's mood didn't improve.

"For a Lee family member to be putting on make-up in the car...it's unthinkably disgraceful."

"There's no way around it, right? Since I didn't have enough time to put make-up on."

"Did you read that book on manners? What part of you is like a lady?"

"It's because I read that book until late at night that I couldn't wake up! Since somebody said to memorize it all in three days."

"So you're saying it's my fault? In the first place, if you use that sort of language in Oregon...You know you'll be driven out right immediately, right?"

"Araso! Ah, don't drive so recklessly! Mt mascara will look weird!"

"Do you really understand...?" 

My brother's grandmother lived in Los Angeles, where we  were  going. I would be greeting her anew as a proper successor candidate.

"In the first place, there's no reason for me to worry  about you, you know? Since I'm against you as successor."

"Mwoh? You're probably just scared of going by yourself, right?"

"There's no way I'd be s...scared, right...?"

My brother's grandmother was a very strict person, and even he can't compete with her at all. That's obviously the same for me...

"Yah, what do you think your grandmother will say?"

"That you should put on less make-up?"

"Aniya, I meant regarding how I might succeed."

"Who knows. However, be prepared to be told harsh things."

"Ne..."

Grandmother has never smiled even once for me, a child from a previous marriage. I heard that the one who opposed appa's remarriage to omma until the very end was also her in Los Angeles.