F o u r

I pushed open the door to the café, listening to the pretty little chime of the bell as I entered. True to my word, I had given Yomo a 30-second head start before entering.

"Welcome!" called somebody from the counter.

I smiled. "Hi!" I called back, seating myself in a booth. A black-haired woman in waitresses' garb came up to me. Ghoul, I noted to myself.

"Will it be just you today?" asked the woman. I saw her nose twitch, even though the rest of her face was a mask of politeness. She knew I was a ghoul as well.

"Yes," I replied with a timid smile. "Can I have a coffee please?"

"Of course," replied the waitress, going to fetch it. I smiled inwardly. Of course, no questions asked. A young ghoul entering a coffee shop by herself- there wasn't much other explanation needed.

A television next to the doorway played the morning report.

"More news of the attack last night," the young reporter was saying. "The CCG have confirmed that there were two fatalities- An investigator and a civilian. The civilian was the only intended attack, and was fed upon. While investigators are still unsure, current data points to the main suspect to be the so-called Dragon Ghoul."

I inhaled sharply. They were good - maybe too good. Not that it mattered. They would all be dead before they could lay one of their dirty quinques on me.

"Here is your coffee," said the waitress, sliding the warm drink into the table. I thanked her, jolting out of my trance.

"Further investigation on the ghoul confirmed her to be a female around the age of eleven, who wears a mask that covers the top half of her face. Her mask also has two spiraling horns that give the appearance as if they're protruding from her head."

I sipped my drink, feeling the warmth spread through my body, pretending to be oblivious.

"She also has dual kagunes, a Rinaku and Koukaku type. One resembles wings and the other looks like the bones of an animal's tail coated in red light. If seen, do not approach- I repeat, do not approach."

I scoffed to myself. Like anyone would willingly approach a ghoul.

"- she is mentally unstable and dangerous," continued the reporter.

I froze, my cup halfway to my lips. Then I slowly recovered, raising it all the way. Mentally unstable. Hah. I smiled menacingly, my features concealed by the mug.

I placed the empty cup on the table, lost in my own thoughts as I thanked the employee again, paying with a handful of crumpled-up bills.

"Bye!" a man called. "Hope you come back soon!"

"I will!" I said, starting to open the door when suddenly, I picked up a strange scent.

I froze, the door halfway ajar.

I turned back slowly, releasing the door.

"Um, did you forget something?" somebody else asked in a kind tone - a boy, by the sound of it.

"No," I stated, going to the counter and taking a seat. "I think... I'll be staying a bit longer."

"O-okay!" replied the person, not doing a good job of hiding their surprise.

I turned my attention onto them. The boy who had spoken had ink-black hair and a white patch over his left eye. He smiled awkwardly and turned away, busy with work.

Yeah... A little longer...