Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

What the hell am I thinking??

I'm a complete idiot for thinking that anything could be happening between Tucker and I.

But I guess that was all made pretty clear yesterday...

I groaned untangling myself from my covers as I walked over to my closet.

Luckily I wasn't known for being a girl who wears dresses and curls my hair every morning, because that definitely isn't me, especially not today.

I grabbed a pair of grey sweatpants and a basic t-shirt which I was going to throw a sweat shirt over. I headed into my bathroom, brushing through my hair before picking up my tooth brush and brushing my teeth.

Tonight was the party, and I know this would be a bitch move to cancel on Cathy, after shopping yesterday and everything, but I really don't even feel like going tonight.

But if I stay home tonight, I'll most likely be alone with Tucker...

I can't even make up decisions right now.

I grabbed my converse before heading downstairs to find Susan.

Thank god.

She say with pancakes made right in front of her.

Her eyes shoot up to nine with a smile that slowly faded.

"Elise, are you alright?" She questioned, concerned.

"Yes, why wouldn't I be?" I asked, taking a seat as I set a pancake onto my plate.

"I mean, I don't want to sound rude, but you look like shit. Did you sleep last night?" She continued to ask.

I took a bite of my pancake. "Yes, I'm fine."

She takes a seat next to me. "Great, because I have some news."

I continued to eat the fluffy pancake. "What's it about?"

"It's revolving your mother." She said.

It felt like the whole room froze for a second.

I haven't even thought about my mother lately.

"Is she okay?? Did her phone die??" I ask concerned.

"Elise," Susan started.

Oh no...

"Please don't say..."

She can't be.

"Elise, she's fine...well she is now." She continued. "She'll be fine, it's just..."

"What?"

"Your mother was found in a car accident, Elise." She said.

And in that moment I could hear my heart beat.

"No..."

"It was a blizzard, she couldn't see the tree in front of her, let alone a road. She's in the hospital now, in recovery."

"No, she can't be. We can't even afford those bills." I cry.

"I know, which is why we're doing the best to help her right now, but we both come to terms that it would be best if you stay under this roof, for longer."

I wipe away a tear. "How much longer?"

"I don't know..." She looks at me with pity in her eyes. "She'll be alright, I promise. I understand if this is too much to take in all at once, and if you would like to stay home today, that is completely fine." 

I grabbed my napkin, wiping my nose and eyes. "I need to see her."

"That's not the best thing to do right now. She isn't allowed any visitors as of right now, and it's all the way across the world."

I knew she was right, I just couldn't process it all right now.

I got out from my seat. "Sorry..." I say before heading upstairs, unable to say anymore.

I basically bolted upstairs, my vision blurred with tears. Once I get to the top step I ran into something.

A wall, way to fucking go, Elise.

"Look, I know I've upset you but that doesn't mean you can just hit me--woah, are you alright?" The wall questions.

It only took me a second before I realized it wasn't a wall but instead Tucker.

Why couldn't it be a wall?

"Like you care." I said, walking past him before he could stop me. I ran into my room, closing the door behind me before going right back onto my bed, crying into the same pillow.