1: Skirts and Hair

2 years later.

"I'm sorry Gerard," Donna spoke from the front seat to her son who was sat in the back. "It's not my fault you threw out all your skirts."

The Way family were headed back to New Jersey as their father, Donald, had simply missed it and the rest of their family that resided there. Donna had agreed, and she never really liked the busy streets of New York.

Mikey was excited to see his old friends again, having only seen them five times in the past two years that they had been in New York, but he had been messaging and calling them constantly.

But Mikey was also fearful of how Gerard would react to everyone finding out that he used to be a crossdresser and how he would probably be bullied for it, not to mention the reason as to why they had to leave, he was worried that everyone would remember.

Gerard though, he was just hoped that he could just get all his old skirts and dresses back so he could pretend he was a girl for a few more years to avoid potential cross-dress bullying as the people of Belleville weren't really all that accepting of it.

"But mum," Gerard whined and Mikey rolled his eyes from beside him. "If I go back everyone will make fun of me for being a crossdresser, it's better letting them all think I'm Gee."

"Sorry dear but they probably all forgot you anyway," Donna said trying to be reassuring. "Wait, shit- I meant- I didn't mean it like that honey."

Gerard rolled his eyes, giggling a little, not at all offended by her words. He hoped they had all forgotten him too.

Gerard really regretted throwing away all his feminine clothing but he just decided that he wanted people to think he was actually a boy for once and the skirts became less appealling anyway.

"Please mum," Gerard started again. "I will, pay you back-"

"You wont need to pay me back because i'm not buying them for you," she said, glancing in the rearview mirror at her son. "When we have enough money, fine, but until then, you can blame yourself for spending all your money on your haircut."

"It's a cool haircut," Gerard muttered, pouting as he ran his hands through his red locks that had been dyed last week, looking out the window. "Couldn't we at least start next week to give me time to buy some?"

Gerard had really been wanting this red one for a while anyway, he wasn't so into skirts anymore but he had seen it on a website for some clothing store they had in Belleville when he was first convincing his mother to let him get one.

It wasn't anything special, but it was a bright red skater skirt and Gerard didn't care at all that it was in the girls section, he just wanted something to wear for school for the first week until he could afford more.

Although then he would worry that he would be bullied for wearing the same thing everyday. Gerard remembered Belleville just being full of assholes who will make fun of you for anything, so he was trying to find any aspects of his situation that he needed to sort out.

"Gerard, you are not missing the first week of school because you want a skirt, stop dramaticing over everything," Donna sighed, sick of her sons bullshit complaining.

"Dramaticing," Gerard laughed. "What? Is that even a word?"

"Freaking out," Donna corrected, rolling her eyes. "You know what I mean; you make everything out to be so dramatic."

"He does have a point mum," Mikey said, surprising them both. "I mean, if they remember him he's already going to get hell from what Jamia did, let alone being a cross dresser."

"Gerard's over that," Donald spoke up from the passenger seat, surprising everyone as they had thought he was asleep. "Aren't you Gerard?" He asked his son who just shrugged.

"I guess," Gerard said, it wasn't true at all. He wasn't over it by a long shot but he didn't let them know that, he let them believe he was okay for now.

Truth be told, Gerard was dreading going back to New Jersey, back to all the rude people, back to the bullies, back to Frank.

New York was a lot better when it came to people, in Gerard's opinion, he did get bullied a little while he was there, but so did everyone and it wasn't too bad. It was mostly for the fact that his hair was down to his shoulders and made him look like a girl.

But he did have a few girl's say that he looked cute which brightened his days when he was there, his friends from New Jersey and New York had also pointed out that he looked cute.

Sure, he never believed them as his confidence level was at zero, but he appreciated that his friends were kind enough to complement him regardless.

"Here we are," Donna said, smiling as they drove past a sign that stated that they were in the small town of Belleville, New Jersey, well it was small compared to New York, that's for sure.

"Can't wait to see Pete and Ryan again!" Mikey beamed, smiling as he stared out the window, looking at the ugly painted walls of each house they drove past.

"What about Brendon?" Gerard asked, raising his brow at his little brother who stopped looking out the window to look at his him.

"He's been an asshole to Ryan lately so I refuse to associate with him for now," Mikey said shrugging and looking back out the window.

Gerard nodded, looking out his own window, up at the slightly darkened sky. He assumed it was late in the afternoon considering the sun was pretty low in the sky and he could even see the moon looking somewhat faded in the sky.

He sighed as they made it to their new house that had already been fixed up by their dad and his friends who had set up over the past few weeks.

School literally started tomorrow for him and honestly he felt like this going to be a long year.

He was not ready for his first day, but then again, he never was.

-

Okay so there you go, hope you enjoyed this chapter.

I think I have decided on a permanent title for this fic (which is sort of a first bc it usually takes ages to pick one but idk) and so it will be called 'Funny How It Rained All Day' bc I just really love Remembering Sunday by ATL and it fits with this fic so yeah...

It will also have a new cover so look out for that! (: