I Am A Monster : Chapter 14

Start from the beginning

Amari! I scream through the pack link, but she seems strangely cut off.

As one, they charge. I try to slice my way through, but eventually they pin me to the ground by sheer numbers. I scream in anger and frustration and try to claw my way towards the pack, but something hard hits my head and I'm knocked out.

* * *

I wake up on some sort of mattress. It's thin and lumpy and uncomfortable. I open my eyes. I'm in a large, marble room the size of a normal-sized house, with sunlight flooding through huge stained-glass windows and a large oak door. I'm on a mattress pushed up against the wall, in the corner. I scan my surroundings, my eyes narrowed, but see nothing else besides a pitcher and a platter of slop. My werewolf has been ignoring my human mind, which means I haven't eaten or drank anything in days. How is that possible? I have no idea. Wolves can do that to you sometimes. It's an old myth. If they get too caught up in something, you temporarily lose the need to eat or drink. I shovel down the slop and wash it down with the water, disgusted but satisfied. Then I wait. My wold helps me wait by bringing me into a Droma. They call them Dromas because your wolf causes a cross between a day dream and a coma, where your mind simply goes blank until there is something to entertain it. I wait out my Droma until there is a knock on the wooden oak door. My muscles tense and my back snaps up straight. I jump straight out of bed and get into a defensive crouch.

"Wolf," says a deep, gruff voice from outside. "Open the door or I do. Your choice."

I don't answer. I stare at the door in disgust. I decide not to pounce; I'll save that for my escape, which I decide will be tonight.

The door is kicked down. A man stands there, wearing a leather jacket and jeans. His hear is slicked back like an Elvis Presley do, and his eyes are a blazing, intense crimson. His face is pale, unnaturally so, and he wears a cruel smile, his eyes glittering malevolently.

He radiates the power of a leader.

"Stop being so defensive, Drama Queen," he says, getting closer to me. A snarl rises up my throat and out through my clenched teeth. "Whoa, whoa, whoa! You don't gimme a damn, do you?"

"Go to hell!" I spit through my gritted teeth, my eyes narrowed into slits.

In half a second, his face is level with mine, inches away. He moves very fast for a damned vampire. I flinch backwards, glaring at him, and his responsive laugh is deep and rough.

"Ah, I forgot your spirit," he muses, a cruel gleam in his eyes. "You werewolves are always so...feisty."

"Get out!" I snarl.

"Oh, but this is my room," he responds, the corners of his lips pulling up into a smile. "I believe you are in here out of my hospitality. I can have you executed, yes, but what fun would that be? It's much easier like this, to slowly torment you, to make you go insane. We'll bring you the corpses of the ones in your pack, don't worry. You'll be able to mourn over them."

I'm pressed up against the cold wall, breathing in his sick, awful scent of blood, the metallic, rusty smell filling my nostrils. In human form, it smells a lot more revolting. I feel his hot breath on my neck, which sends prickles down my back. I've never been so close to anyone in my life besides my parents and Emma. I'm about to snap, I know it--I'm about to morph and snap his neck. I'm shaking with suppressed rage. This man is the kind that killed my parents. I've been on the run for two years because of his damn race.

"Go to hell!" I repeat, venom layering my voice.

"Ah, but again...what fun would that be?"

"I hate you!" I scream, losing it. I've snapped. I bring my feet up and kick my feet against his chest. He goes sailing twenty feet backwards.

"Oh no you didn't!" he roars, getting to his feet. I immediately return to my defensive stance. "I'll have you beat for that!"

"I'd rather be beaten than be stuck in here with you!" I shriek angrily. Black Flame is missing. I only have an empty scabbard. "Give me my sword and maybe I'll kill you faster, instead of a slow, painful death!"

He presses something on the wall. Alarms blare. I morph and charge towards him, and he cowers in fear. Then I'm caught and pushed back, and Black Flame is almost used against me by one of the guards, who unsheathes it and brandishes it at me. Then I charge. He swings the sword, but I transform right before my body makes contact with it, swinging under it and twisting the man's arm. He screams in pain, a high, girlish shriek, and I wrench the sword from his clutching fingers and stab his heart. Then I slice the other guard's neck. The man who was trying to torture me screams. My arm shakes as the fury takes over. I pin him against the wall with one hand and with the other I hold the blade over his heart. It hovers there for a full two seconds while he struggles vainly to twist out of my steel grip, but then the sword plunges into his heart. I stay there like that, Black Flame plunged into his heart, my sword arm shaking as my vision is washed in red, anger taking over my heart. I sheathe Black Flame and morph into my wolf form, using my razor-sharp claws to quickly claw my way up the wall until I shut my eyes and run straight through the window. Multicolored glass sprays into the room, and I jump into open air. My paws touch the dirt with a th-thud, and I go racing off into the forest, vampires snarling and growling behind me, sprinting, trying desperately to catch the girl that just escaped and killed their leader.

Okay, so I tried to make this chapter longer than usual. Hope you liked it!!!