Chapter 2

P.O.V SYDNEY

IN LOS ANGELES GAME DAY

The energy in Los Angeles at the X-Games arena was unbelievable. This was my second time in the X-Games for Freestyle Motocross.  Last year I was competing with the other women of the world, but this year was different. I wanted to challenge myself because ever since I was little, I was competing and winning against all girls. So my manager and I decided to compete against the men. Thankfully “Sydney” can be a guy’s name. So everything fell into place. Thankfully I didn’t need to post a picture, otherwise my identity would be known. There were 7 people in the stadium that knew who I really was. It was my manager, Harry, Zayn, Niall, Liam, Louis, and Paul. Everyone else thought I was a guy.

The competition was about to start. I was getting nervous, and apparently Louis could tell.

“Babe, you don’t need to worry. In practice you were amazing. You will do great, just take deep breaths. You know that if you don’t breath you will pass out because of you vocal cord dysfunction. It has already happened one this week, we do not need to go through that again.”

“That is very true. I hate it when I pass out, I feel disoriented afterwards.” I needed to joke around as much as I could. It was my only way to calm down. Then the Games started so I had to get ready.

Today I was going up Travis Pastrana and all of the other medalists. This was so intimidating. But I can do it. I know I can, I have that feeling that everything will be okay. I was seated second to last because I was new. I was too scared to watch the other competitors so I listened to my music. I always listen to music. I have to listen to music when I ride otherwise I focus on other things that are happening around me.

All I know is that no one has attempted the double backflip. Not even Travis himself.

Okay so it was my turn to go. I looked at the crowd and I was already pumped. So I just went before I regretted anything. I was halfway down the ramp when I felt that I knew it would be okay. So I did my flip….

I landed it and I got a perfect score. I was able to hear the audience cheer and yell for me. It took all of my energy not to run to Louis and kiss him. So I went back to the starting position. This X-Games was different than all of the other Games. At the competitors meeting they told us that we get 2 rounds and that is it.

So I was really happy when I landed my first round with a perfect score. Just with this score I was pushed to second place. The other competitors were good but the difficulty levels of their tricks were lower than mine. The judges always judged by scores. In other words the more flips and spins, the higher the difficulty score is.

Now it was my turn for my last and final trick. I was still going for the double backflip but I was going to leave the bike, do the double without the bike, and then land back on my bike. In practice I had problems with this trick. At this point it was all or nothing so I went for it. I had the same feeling as I did the first time that everything was going to be okay.

And it was. I landed the trick. It was so amazing, I was so pumped with adrenaline. Before it was my turn to go, I heard the announcers say that since I am doing the same trick with a different difficulty level, that if I land this I automatically win.

I couldn’t believe it! I won against the guys. Before everyone congratulates the winner, it is the X-Games tradition to do another trick for celebratory matter. So I was ready. At this point, I had a lot of adrenaline so I decided to do a trick that has never been done. It was the triple backflip. This trick was unheard of. It is like the last trick I did, that I will do a flip and leave the bike. To most people this trick is impossible. I was one of those people, it was such a blind landing it was hard to see the ground. But I didn’t care.

I felt like I could do the trick. So I went for it, I was so pumped that I don’t remember hitting the gas.

I was half way down the ramp, but instead of having that feeling that everything was going to be okay. I had the feeling that something was going to go terribly wrong. Usually I listen to my feeling because I am never wrong. But I didn’t listen to it this time. I thought it was because I just won and I was so happy.

I still went for the trick. I was in the air. I left my bike and felt as if I was flying. I did one, two flips and I could still see the bike. I started my third flip and I lost the bike. I knew this was going to end badly so I just let it happen. I saw the ground coming closer and closer. Then I just blacked out…..

LOUIS P.O.V (AS SYDNEY GOES FOR HER CELEBRATORY TRICK)

I was so proud of her. I can’t believe that she is here competing against guys. I thought performing in front of millions of screaming girls was hard. But this was all new to me.

I was watching Sydney get ready for her last trick. But then a camera saw me and the boys. Paul thankfully took care of them saying that we were here for personal reasons.

I only heard that much because I knew Sydney was going for her trick. I was watching with amazement as I saw her flipping in the air. I have never seen this trick. So I was watching her closely. I could see her spotting the bike every time she flipped. She was on her third flip and the bike fell to the ground!!

The boys and I looked at each other with the same worried expression. I have been dating Sydney for 2ish weeks and she was already like family to me and the boys. We all worried about her and we all loved her.

I saw that she was getting closer and closer to the ground, I can’t imagine what she could be thinking. I could tell that everyone in the audience knew what was happening as if it was in slow motion. The whole audience was silent. It was terrible.

I blinked and she was on the ground, and that she was knocked out with her helmet off. The announcer decided to say a little something and he said, “Oh my god Sydney Schaefer is down and……… is a girl. Ha-ha how does that make you feel guys. You just lost to a 20 year old girl.”

That was it. Within seconds the emergency personnel were at her side. I couldn’t stand being on the sideline acting as if I didn’t know her. Harry, Zayn, Niall, and Liam all had the same thought. We all jumped the fence and ran to her side to make sure that she was okay. We ran past every guard that told us to stop. Paul was behind us, I am sure he is telling them that I am here for her.

It seemed like it took forever to get to Sydney. As we got there the emergency personnel held us back. I looked right at Sydney hoping to see her awake. They told me that she was going to be okay. I didn’t believe them because I was looking right at her and she didn’t look fine. They were putting Sydney on a backboard. I could tell that this was not going to be good.

They told Paul and Sydney’s manager that they were taking her to the ICU at the nearest hospital. I was already starting for the door. I was so scared for her, that I couldn’t help the tears from falling down my face. I turned to see where everyone was. They were all right behind me. I waited for Paul so he could hide my face from everyone. I didn’t want people to see me cry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You probably saw that one coming but I though it was good.

What do you think???

Tell me, and vote