Chapter 19

Maddie's POV

I walked through the main door after coming back from the supermarket. I carried on bag in my good wrist and got Steve to carry the other one. "Maddie, are you coming to the party tonight?" Tony asked as I walked into the kitchen. "Do I have a choice?" I asked and started to put everything that Steve was bringing through away. "Well, you're an Avenger so not really." Tony said as he got out a coffee mug. "Then yes. And it's here isn't it?" I asked and he nodded. Tony left the room and once Steve had bought everything through he started to help me pack it away. "Are you staying for the party tonight?" I asked even though I knew the answer. "Yes. I don't really want to but Tony makes all Avengers. So I don't have much choice." Steve said as I put away the final few things. "Well, it's my first Tony Stark party. So let's hope it is fun." I said and passed him a bottle of water and got one for myself. "Don't worry, you're going to love it." He said and took a sip of his water. "I don't really do good with big crowds, so it might not be fine." I said and walked out the room. I walked into the living room to see Nat and Wanda. "Hey girls. Can you help me get ready for the party later?" I asked and sat next to Wanda. "Yeah, do you have a dress?" She asked. "Yeah I have a few that I brought for undercover missions and some that I just thought were nice." I said. "I can do you your hair and Wanda can do your make up. You are going to find a man tonight. And you will look so good when looking for him." Nat said and with that I left the room with a smile on my face. Nat was right. I had to find someone to get my mind off Bucky. I walked over to the medical bay to get my cast taken off. "Maddie. You do know that you still need a splint on." Bruce said and took the cast off. "Yeah I know it still hasn't fully healed." I said and he put the splint on for me. With that I left the medical bay and walked to my room.

I had just gotten out of the shower and put on my robe when Nat and Wanda came through the door. They ran to my wardrobe to look for the right dress. "This one is gorgeous!" Wanda said and pulled out a burgundy dress that showed the right amount of cleavage and had a split going to the top of the right thigh. "Yeah it is. And it will still look good with the splint." Nat said and looked at the detail. Like the gems on the 3/4 length sleeves and around the waist. "We'll do your hair and makeup before you put it on." Wanda said and pushed me to the bathroom. Nat got a chair from my room and sat me down on it. Nat did natural waves and a fishtail braid in the middle. It looked nice and it went well with the fancy dress, it was a nice contrast fancy and simple. Wanda did a thick eyeliner with a natural eyeshadow and a lipstick that matched the dress. Once they were satisfied they left to let me get changed and for them to get ready. I paired the dress with a black pair of wedges. I slipped the dress on and made sure I looked alright once more. I meet Nat and Wanda outside my room and we decided to go into the party together.

We walked down the stairs to see the room was full. I felt my breath pick up. "Maddie calm. Ok. We need a safe word of you start to feel panicky." Nat said as she and Wanda called me down. "Energy." I said once I was calm and we all laughed but agreed. We continued walking down the stairs and to the bar. "Wow Maddie, you look beautiful." Steve said and i thanked him. I got compliments from all the Avengers. This was the first time they had seen me like this so they complimented me a lot. I was thankful for it all. But the one person who hadn't said anything but kept staring was Bucky. I still hadn't said anything to him since the whole thing in the kitchen last month. I had still decided not to give him another chance but I still felt something in my heart for him. I still felt like I loved him. But I didn't want to. I had to keep reminding myself of what he had done to me. I was pulled out of my thoughts by a tap on my shoulder.