2. The Last Ones

Minho had just finished mapping out the maze for the day. Not much progress was made, but he still had to go to the Map Room anyways. Jogging out of the Maze and finally into the Glade, his attention was towards the Gladers surrounding the Box.

Minho paused when he heard Newt yelling his name and waving his arms at him frantically. Then he pointed to something. Minho looked over to see what Newt was pointing at and his mouth dropped.

" Minho go stop her!" Minho snapped out of his daze when he realized she entered the East Door of the Maze.

" Shuck." He whispered to himself and ran forward to catch up with her and stop her. Newt sighed in relief as he knew Minho would find her and bring her back. He looked at Thomas and noticed him still pale in the face. " You okay there Tommy?"

Thomas snapped out of his daze and nodded. Truthfully Thomas lied. No he wasn't alright. For some reason the sight of that girl made him feel as if he really did see a ghost. When he studied her face, he noticed that she kinda had same features as his own except for light hair and eyes.

"Greenie, get over here," Alby's voice demanded. Thomas winced, hearing Alby in a strict voice. He knew Alby wasn't gonna bother being polite to him, knowing that Alby was gonna ask questions showing his suspicion, but it wasn't like he already suspicious of him already. He walked forward, trying to act normal. Oh, calm yourself Thomas, he told himself. I haven't done anything wrong.

The boys who parted for Thomas and Newt, glared at him as he walked past, as if Thomas was the reason for all their troubles since he got there. Thomas made sure to not meet any of them in the eyes, fearing he would crack under pressure even though he was just like them. Clueless.

He approached Alby, who knelt beside the girl. Thomas, really not wanting to meet Alby's eyes but instead stared at the girl. Seeing her, he found her quite pretty with her dark silky hair slightly fanned out, her face pale, and her perfect pink lips. No pretty was an understatement. she was indeed beautiful.

"Do you know this girl, shank?" Alby asked, sounding very ticked off.

"Know her? I don't know anyone except for you guys."

"That's not ...," Alby began with a frustrated sigh. "I meant does she look familiar at all? Any kind of feelin' that you've seen her before?"

"No." Thomas replied looking down at his feet.

"You're sure? Cause you sure don't sound like it." Newt then asked from behind him. Thomas looked behind him with shock. Newt doesn't believe me?!

" You and Makena sure were staring at each other weirdly and then she runs off into the bloody Maze.

"What should I say? Thomas began panicking inside. " Listen I don't know either one of the girls. Alright?"

"Shuck it," Alby muttered. " This isn't a coincidence. Two days, Three Greenies, two up and runnin', one unconscious."

"I swear she and that other girl don't look familiar at all!" Thomas said, done with all the accusations.

"Are you-"

Before Newt could finish what he was saying, the girl shot up into a sitting position and gasped. Her eyes snapped open and looked around at the crowd that surrounded her.

"Everything is going to change." The girl said. Her voice was hollow and scratchy as if it'd been years since she used it but it was clear as day.

Everyone stared as she fell back to the ground. Her right fist shot into the air as she landed, staying rigid after she grew still, pointing toward the sky.

Newt pulled her fingers apart to reveal a wad of paper. With shaky hands, he unfolded it, then spreading out the note on the ground. Thomas moved up behind him to get a look. Across the paper in thick black letters were five words:

They're the last ones. Ever.

When Newt read it out loud silence filled the whole Glade. No one spoke until someone asked, " What does that even mean?"

After that, the whole group of boys became a hurricane of questions. Over and over they kept asking what the message meant while others started to make guesses of what the meaning was about. The volume kept rising and rising till Alby shouted, " SLIM IT!"

Alby pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration as he ordered Jeff and Clint to take the girl to the Homestead. Several boys made protests about them getting first shots but quieted as Alby gave them each death stares.

Clint kneeled down at the girl and looked for a pulse to make sure she didn't die or that she wasn't close to dying. Looking back up at Alby, Clint said " I can't say what's wrong with her. She has a normal heartbeat and everything, but I believe she's in a coma. Me and Jeff will take her to the Homestead and somehow try to get her out of it. We'll feed her some soupy stuff and keep a record of her improvement if there is any."

Alby nodded. Jeff grabbed her by the arms while Clint took hold of her feet.

"On the count of three," Jeff, the taller Med-jack, said, his tall frame bent over her, like a praying mantis. "One ... two ... three!"

They lifted her with a quick jerk, almost throwing her up in the air-she was obviously way more lighter than they were expecting her to be.

" Just watch her closely and be careful with her," Newt said. " Her and Makena must have some importance here or they wouldn't have sent them here."

" And put her next to Ben's room, and keep a watch on her day and night. Nothin' better happen without me knowing about it. I don't care what happens. You just come tell me." Alby said as he looked at the girl one last time.

"Yeah," Jeff muttered as Clint and him shuffled off to the Homestead.

Thomas watched her body bounce up and down as they took her away. He felt a connection to the two girls. He knew that he lied to their faces. He knew them or well somewhat knew them. He felt that he knew the dark haired girl but he was really for sure he remembered this Makena girl. He was completely confused on how this could be and all of this was just making him feel nauseous. And right on cue, Alby walked over and grabbed him by the shoulder.

"You've never seen her before?" he asked.

Thomas hesitated this time before answering. "Not that I remember."

"You're sure?" Newt prodded again, standing right behind Alby.

" Yes I'm sure. Why are you two grilling me like this?"
Alby shook his head, then turned back to Newt, releasing his grip on Thomas's shoulder. " Tomorrow we're calling a Gathering."

Newt frowned and nodded.

" I got her!" A voiced yelled. Newt, Thomas, and Alby turned to see Minho with Makena in his arms, carrying her bridal style. His face was red with sweat dripping off his face. " She's gonna need the Med-Jacks too."