Chapter 9--Madi Grove

Madi Grove opened her eyes. Everything was still, and the sun was just peeking into her window. She let out a long and happy sigh. The storm yesterday had been fierce, rattling the windows and making the walls creak unbearably. She had been cooped up in the little cottage for an entire day. Madi rolled to face the door, where she could just barely see across the hall a sliver of the doorway into the room where Celian slept. At least she had gotten to spend the day with him. She and her father had spent the whole time teaching Celian how to act more natural as a human. By the end of it, one almost couldn't tell he had been anything else. Life grew so much more interesting with a shape-shifting sea creature around.A sizzling sound and a delicious smell finally coaxed the young girl out of bed. She slipped into her bathrobe and skipped down the stairs.

Dr. Ash Grove stood at the little kitchen stove, frying strips of bacon while five eggs boiled in a pan.

"Good morning," he called over his shoulder. "Ready to visit the beach today? I am sure the storm washed up plenty of new shells for us to find."

Madi sat down to the egg he placed before her and pursed her lips as she peeled it.

"Actually, Dad," she replied slowly, "I was wondering if we could all go into town together."

Ash set down the plate of breakfast before sitting, himself. He tilted an eyebrow at his daughter. "All?" he echoed.

Madi licked her fingers and nodded. "Celian can come too, can't he?" She smiled with pleading in her eyes. "Please? I want to show him the kite shop!"

Ash frowned and wagged his head. "Madi, I'm not so sure—we'll need to get him some new clothes, but even then there's no guaranteeing what might happen when people see him—"

"But Dad!" Madi protested. "We practiced! He'll be on his best behavior, I promise!"

Dr. Grove opened his mouth to protest, but just then, who should stride into the front room but Celian himself. He was still wearing the doctor's clothes, which looked almost comical, exposing narrow ankles and a good bit of forearm beyond the cuffs.He nodded to his hosts."Good morning, Doctor Grove," he rumbled. "Good morning, Madi." He gave a broad smile and the multi-colored eyes danced.

Ash nodded to the open seat at the table. "Good morning Celian; care to join us for breakfast?"

Celian stepped forward. "Of course," he responded. "Thank you." With measured movements, he pulled out his chair and lowered himself into it.

Madi grinned, but barely glanced at her father. "Celian, how would you like to go into town with us today?"

The lanky man stopped in the midst of trying to pry his egg out of the shell—succeeding only in getting the gooey, yellow yolk all over his fingers. He cast a worried glance at Dr. Grove, who absorbed himself in the newspaper next to him."Madi," Celian tried to reason with her. "I don't think it—"

"Oh please!" She begged, "We practiced!"

A chuckle escaped the broad chest. "Talking with you is not like walking among strangers alone."

"But you won't be alone," Madi curled her fingers over his palm, heedless of the yolk. "I'll be with you the whole time." She glanced at her father. "We both will, won't we, Dad?"

Ash set down his paper and cleared his throat. "Madi, I know how much you like it here, but there is no need to—"

"It will be fun!" She turned back to Celian. "Have you ever seen a kite before?"

He tilted his head as the human instincts tried to form a comprehensive construct for this word. "Those are the colored cloths on strings that sail in the sky, correct?"