chapter 6

It was over, Rhys thought to himself. The bitch was dead. But really, it wasn't over. Not yet. They still had to deal with the king. He still dreamed about that night many times, day dreamed about it even more. 

Rhys was thrown against the wall. Feyre's neck snapped. She was dead. She was dead. Amarantha was going to kill them all now. But then that fae came up and challenged her, clearly not doubting his skills. He didnt see who was behind him. Who threw that sword. Rhys didnt see it. When the tip of the sword plunged to his chest, Aelin screamed louder then when Amarantha had tortured her. Her scream was filled with anguish and pain and anger. She clenched her chest in the spot where Rowan was stabbed. She felt it? That was weird. He'd never heard of such a thing. Rhys felt like time slowed down. He looked at the foreigners. Dorian, he could already tell that boy has been through a lot but he had the gentlest heart, was crying softly. Aedion looked horrified and Lysandra gripped his arm as she too cried silently. Chaol just looked angry. As if it was rowans fault he died. But really he was angry at whoever threw the sword. whoever that was. 

Tamlin was kneeling by Feyre's body, crying as well. That made Rhysand angry. He did not deserve Feyre. But then again, did rhysand? 

When Rowan fell with Amarantha, Aelin fell to her knees, her eyes shut even as tears didn't stop. The heartbreak and pain that was expressed on her face was exactly what he felt at seeing Feyre's body. He'd get the highlords to revive her. They owed her. They owed her their lives. As well as Rowan's. 

Aelin screamed again, fire pulsing out of her. Fire was her. She hated them. Rhysand knew that. Why did it have to be her mate to die to save a bunch of people she didn't even know? He felt the same way about Feyre. He wished he could save her mate too, but he was already a fae. Doing that would be dangerous. She would hate them even more when they revived feyre. 

Fire billowed around her, making her hair look aflame and wild. The flames were consumed the mountain. Rhys sprung to his feet, shouting, "RUN!" as she pulled the sword out of his back. Her skin was glowing, her veins looked like lava. She could kill herself like that. 

"AELIN!" it was dorian, holding an arm over his eyes. None of her friends would leave her. But they had to get out. Otherwise they would suffocate in here. Rhys took hold of her mind, silently apologing. He forced her to stand up as she fought against his clutch. 

No! No, I won't leave him! Her mind spoke. Rhys was stronger though and he forced her to walk out. He gestured for her friends to follow. When they were out from under the mountain, Rhys spoke to the High Lords. They all agreed to revive Feyre. They revived her. But it was Tamlin who got her. She reached up and pulled his mask off. It was Tamlin she loved, because Tamlin was a good person. Better than me anyway.  

Rhys looked at Aelin. She was no longer exploding. Even with the red blotchy eyes, magma looking skin and ruffled hair, she was a force to be reckoned with. her friends appeared to be trying to help her out but she was only looking at Rhys. 

"You could have brought him back? You made me leave him?" Her voice was calm. Not angry. Not vengeful. It scared him, but he didn't show it. 

"There are worse things than death." Rhys said, gently. 

"Right, i'm going to make sure that whoever wielded that sword knows that," her voice was hoarse from screaming. 

"Aelin, you and your friends can stay with me. In the night court. I'll help you get your revenge," he said. She must have realized he was playing Amarantha this whole time or she was too tired to refuse because she nodded. 

-

The body was heavy. The man who wielded the sword put the fire out, as he returned under the mountain. He picked up the man with the tattooes on one side of his face and white hair, and dragged him out. 

-

"Aelin, we need to go home," Dorian said softly, as he sat on her bed, "I know how you're feeling. Really, I do." he said, holding her hand comfortably. 

"No, Dorian, you really don't," Aelin whispered, her first words in a few days now. 

"You aren't the first one to lose a loved one," Dorian said, wishing upon their goddesses to see her smile. Well, Aelin was related to Maeve so that was a little weird. 

Aelin snorted, "I'm cursed. Okay? Everyone I love just dies. Dies for me. For me. It's my fault." 

Dorian sighed, having eventually heard of Sam. "Aelin, Rowan died for all of us-" she winced "-and dont let that be in vain. He would want you to get out of bed. You know rowan. He'd kick your ass if he finds you like this." 

Aelin simpered and cried at the same time. Dorian tugged her to sit up and wrapped his arms around her. She settled in his embrace, wrapping his arms around his waist, and he didnt mind that she was wetting his tunic. 

"Listen, we have a way to travel back and forth now. We need to go home and make sure Manon didnt eat anyone who tried to cross her, and we'll be back," Dorian said gently. 

"I dont suppose you'll let me stay in bed over there," her voice was still hoarse. Dorian chuckled softly. 

"Come on, Aelin. I know you're hurting, but you're strong. You'll get through this. You deserve time to mourn, but you need to find that time when you put Rowan away in your heart and use his memory to drive you." 

"Is that what you did?" she asked, sniffling. 

"Yeah," he said, sighing softly. 

"Are you over her?" she asked. 

"No," he said, shaking his head, "I dont want to say that i am, or i ever will be. I dont want to stop loving her. But if opportunity comes, i would love again." 

"Dorian, let's make a deal. If we're both.. thirty-five and still not married, let's just get it over with." she murmured, sullenly. 

"How about we'll start with a dinner and see where it leads us," he laughed softly. 

"Stupid chivalrous boys," she muttered, but she tightened her arms around him, causing dorian to laugh again against her. 

"Come on, let's go home," he muttered, waiting for her to move first, not wanting to disrupt her. Eventually she shifted and stood up. 

"Thank you." She murmured. He smiled in return and handed her a blue glass orb, the size of two knuckles. 

"Each of us get these. Unlimited passageways between both worlds," he said, throwing his down on the floor. It broke and steam arose from the shattered glass, winding and weaving until it made an oval shaped smoke doorway. dorian stepped through and then so did Aelin. A sudden weight was set on aelin. Dorian bent down to pick up the unbroken orb and when he stood up, his jaw fell at the sight of Aelin and her impregnated belly.