chapter one; IDLE INTERRUPTED

Start from the beginning

Shinra notices anyway. He sees right through Izaya's act and takes note of the pace of his large steps, as he follows him downstairs to their classroom. He notices it in his voice and the shine in his eyes and knowing he's so damn interested in who this girl is already has Shinra feel pity for her this early on, without even having met her once.

The second they open the doors, immediate silence hits them like a brick to the face. The chattering you could previously hear from far away from the classroom stops at once and every head turns to the two boys. Expectation lingers in their expression, but once they recognize their classmates, their eyes reflect a hint of disappointment and they return to their previous conversations and doings.

"They're all really eager to see this new student, eh?" Shinra sighs.

"Seems so," Izaya says, shrugging off the fact that he's one of the hungry wolves, waiting for the bait.

Shinra does not point it out. He knows he's better off just letting him do his thing and not intervene. He's accepted the raven's personality long ago, despite everyone's suspicion towards him.

Izaya is distant and can be cruel. He really is a lone wolf. Even with Shinra at his side, he's this paradox people-person that doesn't ever seek for direct social interaction. Many find that weird and clearly it's no secret that Izaya's involved with every business and secrets at school you could think of, so obviously, he's scary to some.

Both boys take their seat and the raven plays with his pencil, spinning it between his fingers, rolling it in his hand. A habit he doesn't notice now, but will later reflect on with bitterness about how transparent he was in the very moment. Then again, nobody notices, they're all focused on their own impatience, on the edges of their seat, when the door finally opens.

The teacher enters the classroom and he is followed by an unfamiliar figure.

Everyone's eyes follow the stranger's movements, jaws drop at her long jet black hair, that flows like silk in rhythm of her steps and whispering starts about the pale and fine features of her face. She turns to face the class and everyone's gaze is fixed on her.

"I'm sure you all know by now," the teacher starts, while picking up chalk to write something on the board. All students use the opportunity of the teacher facing his back to them to exchange comments with their neighbor.

Shinra is no exception. He leans forward slightly and tips his finger against Izaya's shoulder.

"She's really pretty," he whispers and Izaya turns his head to the boy sitting behind him with a teasing smirk. "Obviously not comparable to Celty's beauty! But either way, I don't get the fuss. Why is everyone crazy about this girl?" he adds quickly after flinching at the suggestive grin of his friend.

Ignoring Shinra's weird affection for a headless Dullahan, Izaya sighs with a satisfied smirk on his lips. "Ahh, Shinra. You just don't get it, do you?" he chuckles lowly. "Obviously they want to learn everything about her. Humans are naturally drawn to destructive behaviour. Everyone has a secret and they want to know the juicy stuff – and they're ready to create it themselves, if necessary."

"I think the latter only applies to you." Shinra frowns.

"That's cruel," Izaya laughs dryly, but doesn't disagree. He is determined to find out this girl's flaw and he's more than eager to play around with her once successfully detected. He turns around and his eyes wander from the top of her head to her feet.

He acknowledges Shinra's earlier comment. This transfer student is indeed pretty.

Her coal black hair looks soft and shiny and frames her face nicely. Her skin is pale, cupid's bow shaping her fairly full lips, her lashes are long and the honey-colored eyes look almost like gold in the right light. Her nose is a little perky, something many people might find cute. Her figure is average, neither on the exceptionally thin, nor chubby side. Her posture adds up on her whole astonishing appearance, seeming extremely elegant and indicating self control.

By now the teacher has the girl's name written on the board and turns around once more. "This is Takenaka Reika and she will be your classmate starting today. Be nice to her, alright?"

The girl, Reika, bows down slightly, but remains silent. Once she straightens her back, her eyes scan the mass of curious people before her and stop at a raised hand in the back.

"Yes, Izaya?" the teacher asks.

"The seat next to me is empty. I just wanted to offer it to Reika-san," he smiles innocently, her name rolling over his tongue with ease and ignores the glares of the other students.

The teacher shrugs and gestures with his arm, pointing for Reika to take her seat and she, without a comment, walks to the back and places her school bag on the table next to Izaya.

"Orihara Izaya," the raven smiles at her. "Nice to meet you."

The girl stops for a second to look at him, nods once and sits down.

- - -

A/N: a new izaya x oc story, aka SHAMELESS TRASH! I'm planning to upload one chapter per week, so wish me luck on holding up with that, haha. Feedback is always welcome and appreciated <3