Some Genie You Are! - Chapter One

Start from the beginning

After a few moments, it seemed to me as if she finally understood me because she had turned her head away and sighed in what I thought was in resignation. 

Wait... did I finally do it? 

“Alright, alright. I’ll give you the lamp for seventy-five dollars,” She said.

I had finally done it. Hallelujah!  

"Oh thank you, thank you!" I exclaimed in joy. I was in so much joy, I grabbed her hands and shook them while saying a few more 'thank you's to her. I didn't know what came over me as I wasn't the type of person who would openly express my gratitude like that or grab people's hands, but I was just in so much relief and excitement. Not sure what I was in relief for, but it didn't matter at the moment. 

Finally motioning myself away from my current excited state, I went into my hand bag and grabbed for my wallet. Taking exactly seventy-five dollars out, I placed it on the counter top and went in to grab for the lamp, but Robyn stopped me. 

Something odd hovered over her eyes but before I could've processed what it was, it went away. "How about I get something for you to put that lamp in." She said as I rested my hands beside me. "While I go to the back, don't try to touch it; it's a very fragile antique and would break if not handled with care." 

What she said didn't make sense to me. "How old do you think I am? Ten? No, I'm nineteen, Robyn - old enough to know how to handle objects especially those of the 'fragile' kind." was what I wanted to say, but instead I just nodded dully and said, "Got it."

"I'm being serious, Alex. Don't touch it." She ordered in a deadly serious tone. 

What was with her? Why was she being like that? I shot my hands up in the air and took a step back. "Robyn, look, I won't touch it, alright?" I stated firmly.        

Her brows went up. It seemed like she was not convinced. I sighed in annoyance and shook my head. "If you're really that worried about me touching the thing, I'll just stand a few metres away until you come back." I shifted myself backwards until I was in enough distance.  "Better?" 

Her brows went back down and she nodded in satisfaction. "I'll just be a moment." She went through the back door and disappeared.  

While I was standing there, waiting, I couldn't help think Robyn was a weird woman. Although she was a very kind, thoughtful lady, she was just plain weird sometimes. I mean who tells a person who's just brought an item from their shop not to touch it? Ah, why am I bothering myself with something like that? I shook my heads and got rid of thoughts. 

I gazed my eyes aimlessly around the shop. But as I did, my eyes straight away spot the lamp that was quietly sitting on the counter top. Immediately, curiosity pulsed through my veins and I had the urge to come forward and touch it. The shiny silver metal -which did not seem rusted one bit- shone brightly under the shop's lights. Not to mention the little white jewels incremented all around the body of the lamp. It was a beautiful thing - that lamp. Too beautiful for its own good. 

Suddenly, my hand came into my view and it was approaching the lamp.  

No, you cannot touch the lamp! You mustn't! 

Robyn's voice pierced through my mind and as much as I wanted to stop myself, I couldn't.  

I must touch it, I felt myself saying. 

With each step, I was getting closer to the lamp and before I knew it, I was in front of it - just a touch away from it.  

Wow, you really are something, aren't you?