Logical

With my bag slung over my shoulder, and a beautifully carved mahogany door in front of me it was easy to see that I was at a crossroads. Either I walk in and let 'fate' take its course or walk away. The latter seemed like a great idea though, since it was the only choice my conscience was opting for me to take but, I took a deep breath to shut out all the warnings, muttered a prayer for help and knocked. After an eternity outside, I turned to leave thinking I was never going to be answered when I heard in invitation, "Oh, do come in!"
Walking in seemed like stepping into another world. A lively home with the TV set on the sports channel, a father on the sofa staring intensely, with aromas escaping the kitchen and a mother walking out wearing a stained apron - probably because of her on unusual cooking experiments.
" Hey Brandon!" She greeted cheerfuly, "How are you doing?"
" H - hello Mrs. Jenkings, Mr Jenkings. I'm doing great by the way, thanks for asking." I stuttered uneasily because of her informality. She has always had this belief of equality that seemed to go a little too far whenever she spoke to younger people. Even though she started it when I was a kid, I'm still not used to it. Mr Jenkings stared at me curiously and then grunted in mock boredom, "Greeting the wife before the man of the house huh?"
"Oh honey!" She laughed, "Don't be bitter."
"Umm, sorry Mr. Jenkings. Anyway, uncle Al asked me to remind you about the whitewater Rapids?"
"I remember kid!" He replied with eyes full of excitement. Kind of reminded me of the first time I got my chemistry set. But Mrs. Jenkings looked concerned, "Honey, isn't that a tad bit... Dangerous?"
"Yes! Yes it is!" He replied, throwing a fist in the air and giving a childish macho speech. She smiled and stared at him with love written all over her face. If I stayed there to long, they would start to get mushy in my presence so, I called her and when she focused on me, one word was enough.
"Allison?"
"Oh yeah..." she nodded, understanding completely.
"You can wait on the balcony. I'll go get her myself. After all, we don't want anything else to happen again... Right?" She stated with a smile and a mischievous glint in her eyes. You see, Mrs. Jenkings got frustrated one time about her food experiments not going the way she expected and ignorantly, I kept pissing her off by asking her questions about where Allison was and say dumb stuff about tutoring. So, she blew up huge gasket, telling me that if I wanted Allison, I should go get her myself. Totally misunderstanding the situation, I went upstairs and barged into the room only to see a naked Allison who had just walked out of a steamy shower. I was out on the street before I heard a shriek from Allison and a hearty laughter from Mrs. Jenkings. According to her, I bolted so fast, she had to guess what happened and her daughters cry confirmed it. That evening however, she need the best dinner she had ever made but, never spoke about it since and made Allison and I behave awkwardly and me her laugh her ass off at any chance she got to bring it up.
"I'm going to get her so, you can wait on the balcony okay?"
"Yeah, I guess..." I answered, climbed up the stairs and up to the balcony. to tell you to truth, I can never get bored with the view. Breathing in fresh air, in one of the few places that have never seen the subways, alleys and heard the noises of the city. Startled by the sound of shuffling feet, I wheeled to see Allison by the door, staring at me with those hazel brown eyes and smiling. I swallowed my inners and said something cool and casual,
"H-hey?" I just stood there, gaping at her donning a light green baggy sweatshirt with blue jean shorts, hair was let down and she looked utterly perfect. I know that at this point, some people be like, "That's not perfect', but let me ask you this; do you know how hard it is for a girl to seem imperfect? Its not easy but trust me, she pulled it off like a charm. I came back to earth and realized I was still staring, but she didn't seem to mind. In an effort to break the tension, I scrambled for a chair and slipped. She burst out laughing and asked, "Oh, are you okay?"
"Yeah. Thanks." I replied a she helped me up and continued, "Let's get started then!"
After that, we were serious. Solving equations and disproving theories till about 15 minutes to time. We were solving chemical formulae when she slammed the large text book closed - with my fingers still in it.
"Ow! What the h-" before I could continue, she was being in the front of me frowning. "Uhh... Allison?"
I whispered, "Don't you think you're little too close?" But she just stood there in silence, observing me with those beautiful hazel brown eyes. Then, she spoke, her voice firm.
"You know, you still haven't told me..."
"Told you what?" I asked. It was very rare see her so serious. All of a sudden, slap my arm and exclained," What happened in class ? You had me so worried!"
Remember what I said about serious? I take it all back.
"So, that's what you to say so bad you slammed a book on my fingers?!"
Silently, she edged towards me again, making me from my chair and back up.
"So, you wanted me to say something else?" She teased. I give a nervous laugh and said, "Wow, would you look at the time! I guess I gotta g-go." I stuttered as my back it the railing. No escape. She then placed her hands on my shoulders.
"Brandon, I think I-"
"No Allison. " I interjected, prying her hands off me. "We've done this dance before, we know how it ends. It's not gonna work out." "Why?!" Her eyes became fierce. "Tell me why!" I couldn't answer that as I stared down at her and brushed strands of hair off her face. She might have seen that or a close proximity as a green light. Either way, she leaned in and kissed me; and in that blissful moment, all the walls I had consciously built to keep myself away from her became puny obstacles as I burned with a passion I had desperately tried to ignore. Finally, my conscience got the better of me and I pushed her back
"I'm sorry."
"What for?" I could see that she was also out of breath. So there I was, clouded with different thoughts flying through my brain. Therefore, I did the only logical thing a 16 year old boy in my shoes would do.
I got the hell out of there.
************************************************
Adalind had seen it. Ever since those three met as little kids, it was like a flame had been ignited in Allison. She loved that boy.
"BRANDON!"
The yell interrupted her from her thoughts and in a flash, Brandon was downstairs, made quick 'thank yous' and 'goodbyes' and ran out- with Allison chasing close behind, still calling out his name.
She laughed silently and walked into the living room, staring at her husband. Aside from paying attention to her daughter, just looking at the man whom she could call hers made her day. Her family never really cared for her or gave her the attention she needed; the downside of being part of a family that was at the apex of the money, power and fame ladder. The only time she ever received great attention was when she pronounced her marriage to Harold.
'It would really hurt me if my own daughter would disregard our family bond and marry one of such low stature.' Her mother's threatening words echoed at the back of her mind. But as she thought about the family she had and the life she had lived, she scoffed mentally at her mother, 'Dangerous? Like hell old lady.'
"Are you gonna say something or just keep staring at my attractive body?" Harold mused and she laughed, "Attractive? Don't kid yourself honey."
He placed a finger on his lips, as if deep in thought,
"Oh really? I thought the only reason you said 'yes' was by the virtue of my good looks." He opened his arms, beckoning her to him with a boyish grin on his face. She smiled, sat on his laps and continued, "Remember when we were just as confused as them?"
"Oh, I remember that I was never confused lady"
"But," she bit her lip, searching for the best thing to say, "has anything changed?"
"Yeah. Don't get me wrong though, you are still the spoiled, rich bitch I met 17 years ago. Might be because I pamper you too much."
She stared at him in surprise. That was the first observation he had made of her when they met for the first time. Nobody had ever spoken to her that way, considering her background so, she was quite taken aback and afterwards, intrigued.
"So, what's different?" She asked, "Only difference is, you are mine." He replied and stared at her incredulously, "You still have doubts, don't you?" I'm still trying hard to believe that you do but, ask anyway." He could read her like an open book, making it easier to share and relate with him and every time she needed him, his attention was focused on her. In sum, she loved all those parts of him, big and small.
"Do you have any regrets? Do you ever imagine a life better than this?" She sighed and looked at him. "You are right. I have doubts. You know how I am and you know that you are the only one who can keep me in the clear."
He kissed her neck, sighed and answered, " Actually, I do try from time to time to imagine a better life..."
"Hey!" She punched him playfully in the arm,
"That hurt y'know?"
Harold laughed and while stroking her hair, continued, "but, all my imaginations end up a bust. There's no life I can imagine that's better. So, to answer your annoying question..." He pinched her nose and smiled, "No. I have no regrets. " Adalind smiled, leaned upwards and gave him a short but deep and lingering kiss. Afterwards, relaxed in his arms and closed her eyes.
It was a good thing she turned everything in the kitchen off.
************************************************
"Brandon, wait!" Allison screamed as she followed him outside to the front lawn but, he just kept going.
"Brandon, you freaking, whoring, crazy asshole! I said STOP!"
He froze after her outburst, as if struck by lightning. Then, he slowly turned to face her with a half grin on his face. "You know, you really suck when it comes to using profanity to make a point." And she folded her arms, frowning, "You are just so bad at reading human emotions, no matter how smart you are." He frowned, "What do you expect Allison? Everytime, there is something that keeps us apart. And after what happened the last time, do you think we'll just come together and expect everything to fall into place?" And she she just stood there, nothing coming out of her mouth. "See?" He arched an eyebrow, "You don't even know what you want."
"I want you to love me you idiot!" Allison burst out and then, he stood close enough for her to lift her eyes to see the beautiful blue in his.
"Yes." She answered without hesitation.
"Then, I'm sorry but, I just can't start loving you Alliso-"
And as she opened her mouth to argue, he placed a finger on her lips, leaned in and kissed her. Instantly, her world got fuzzy and she melted as she tasted his lips and inhaled his intoxicating scent. The kiss lingered and when he pulled back, he gave her a reassuring smile as he continued, "-because, I have never stopped loving you."
She grinned as if she had just won the lottery after hearing that one.
"Y'know, you should let people finish their statements." He whispered and she giggled in return. He took a step back and all of a sudden, stumbled backwards. Confusion set on his face for a few seconds and then, he sighed, adjusting himself to a better stance. "Hey, I gotta go okay? Well talk, I mean, really talk tomorrow."
She wanted him to stay, never to leave her alone but when she opened her mouth to speak, the only thing that came out was an "Okay". He gave her a quick hug and whispered into her ear, "I'm sorry but, so grateful I met you." and gave her a quick kiss before speeding down the dark street. Ant the only thing she could think of was,
'I with that crazy boy would just get a bike.'
************************************************
'I'm sorry but so grateful I met you?' I ruffled my hair in exasperation. That was the most idiotic of the idiotic things I said. As I walked down the lonely street though, I casted my mind back to what happened on the lawn. It was weird, even for me because, I saw something like a pulse originating from the center of the city come to hit me, making me stumble. First, a dream which hurts and now, the stuff I saw as figments of my imagination making me stumble. But, I ignored the nagging feeling of impending doom when I saw the light of my home and started formulating my master plan which always worked; sneaking in through the basement and coming up with a lie that I wasn't late but, studying in there. I didn't get why but, uncle Al always believed it. As I was trying to beat down my conscience into accepting that lying was the best thing to do, I heard a 'clang' from a dark alley.
"Stray cat" I muttered but, froze; strays weren't allowed entry into the neighborhood let alone a roam. But since I have always been a sucker to finding my own Lassie, I peered into the alleyway curiously. I noticed a stir, then eyes opened, each glowing. It might have been the fear or the insane curiousity coursing through my veins that made me stand at the same spot.
That's when the shadow lurking in the dark slowly came into the dimly lit area. It was a larger version of what Mrs Yancey 's cat turned into. Only difference was, the one before me had three heads, each with its own pair of glowing eyes; green, red and yellow. The feeling of fear and helplessness paralyzed me and I hated it. I had to do something.

Though I was shaking scared,, I mustered up some courage, someway, somehow and pretended as if I had not seen the monstrosity in front of me. Took a deep breath and shouted, " Hello? Anybody there?"
Then, I made a sharp turn, started to walk away and mumbled rather loudly, hoping that thing understood English. "I swear I saw something..." and broke off into a run. All I could think of was getting home. Fast. As I run past other houses, I saw more monsters. Hiding, slithering, walking, you name it. All with glowing eyes. Eyes that followed me with a hunger as I sped through the street. I got into the house and slammed the door behind me.
Shit, wrong door.
Uncle Al noticed me immediately and raced to my side as I heaved deep breaths with worry clearly written on his face.
"Hey kiddo, you alright?"
"Yeah." I lied, "I'm just catching my breath. Just ran from Allison's all the way here" and he stared at me in disbelief.
"You...ran?"
"Yeah, didn't wanna break curfew."
"Oh..." He rose, half-believing what I said. "...then, you must be parched. Sit, I'm going to make you some tea."
At that point, I knew that arguing was going to be futile since his 'tea' was practically next to death-defying stuff. He came back, gave me the tea and ushered me to start drinking as he stared at me continously. After a long, hard study, he spoke.
"You know, you look a lot like her..."
I almost choked on my tea.
"Umm uncle? Have you been drinking again?"
He gave me a flustered look and put his hands through his hair and replied, " I was always wondering why you always wanted to me beer. Well, no. I'm not drunk."
"Then, is there an occasion which I have forgotten about?"
"No!" He exclaimed and casted to a me a measured glance, "Just think it's time I told you the little I knew about Abigail."
I was speechless actually. Because, even though her stuff were everywhere, we rarely spoke about her- except the time when I got him drunk. I gave him the 'go on, I'm listening' look and he began,
"You already know the basics, your mum and I were twins so, we practically did everything together. When we got older, we left home and since there were neither parents nor guardians, it was easy. But then, we got separated and many years later, she contacted me, telling me that she had found the man she was going to marry. Your father."
He spat out the 'your father' out as if there were some scores left to settle. Then, sipped some more of his tea before he continued. "Forgive me for not talking about him but, that's what she requested; that I didn't burden you with the sins of the past." I tried to protest but, he raised his hand, motioning me to be quiet.
"I got bad vibes from the guy, especially when he wanted to run away with her from England. So, I invited them to take up residence here, which was a win-win since they could lay low and I could be with my sister. Also, I would be able to find out more about him. Truth is, it's all my fault. My recklessness got him discovered. Some men came to take him away, ransacking the place to 'sterilize' it. They took all his stuff and tried dragging him away. But, he fought back, broke free and ran to her, only to give her that." He pointed to my neckband, not even looking at me for a second, "He said that even if he was gone, he would be with you till you are ready to be your own man. After that, he was taken away. Moths later, you were born, Abigail died... the end." He sighed, dropped the hot - turned - cold tea and concluded, "We used to believe that people were stuck to what the system had set for them but, we were wrong. Your parents proved that. So be for you go to bed, I want you to think about what I told you and how you are going to define yourself after knowing your past."
It wasn't hard to see through the bravado and know what was happening to him emotionally so, I rose to leave but, a wave of nausea forced me back into my seat. It wasn't because of what I felt. I was literally getting sick which was strange.
I don't get sick.
"Are you sure you're okay kid?"
"Y-yeah. I'm jus- ARGH!" I screamed. Pain was numbing my bodily functions and everything was getting blurry.
"Where does it hurt?"He asked as he came to my side, eyes full of concern. "M-my back." I replied and instantly, he ripped off my shirt but, hesitated. "Oh my God..." He gasped. I managed to look at him as he stood behind me, his face ghostly white.
"What is it?" I rasped in pain. Flustered, he raised the ripped clothes, "Sorry, just soaked with an unusual amount of sweat." I tried getting up "Lemme just get upstairs."
"Brandon wait!" He advised and I ignored. As I got up, the last wave of nausea hit me, dragging me to the ground.
Then, everything want black.