Displaced

My room was a mess. I didn’t remember how it happened but, it didn’t seem like my handiwork considering the fact of how terrible of a neat freak I could be. So, out if responsibility (and a little bit of disgust), I did a quick and thorough cleanup by myself and let my drones take care of the rest. Then, I took a quick shower. And just as I was about getting myself done, I heard a normal conversational yell from downstairs,
“Hey kiddo! Come down, dinners’ ready!”
“OKAY!” I yelled back, “I’ll be done in a minute.” I got there finally and saw my uncle sitting behind the dinner table with his glasses on, deeply immersed in a newspaper. Alexander Williams is a librarian. And that makes you imagine a ‘normal’ person behind book stacks which seem to reach the heavens, wearing some really awkward and geeky glasses and always asking you to be quiet in his ‘zone’. But truth is, he is one of the coolest people you could ever meet. With jet black hair, blue eyes, a fittingly ripped body and that chiseled jaw, you could just sit back and imagine how many eternities it took for God to craft just that face. As an adrenaline junkie, white water rapids, surfing, skydiving and all of those death-defying stuff have always been his first love. If you ever need someone to scale Everest, Uncle AL is your man.
                            We were halfway through dinner when he decided to make things awkward. “So, kiddo, how was school today?”. The look on his face said one thing only, ‘I already know. I just want you to talk to me about it’ but, I merely shrugged and toyed with the rest of my dinner, “Oh, nothing out of the ordinary. Boring lessons as usual… Oh, Mr. Leery was actually informative today…”
“Really?” he asked as he relaxed into his seat, “So, nothing… interesting?”
“No. Nothing at all” I answered flatly which had its own meaning, I didn’t want to talk about it. After that, dinner was eaten in silence.
                                After placing the plates into the washing dispenser, I made my way upstairs when he called me back. “What is it?” I inquired with irritation; I wanted to get to my workshop.
“Got a call from Allison. Said something about… tutoring?”
“Crap!” I blurted out and he stiffened. He hates strong language. “I’m gonna call her back!” I quickly added, dashing off to my room before he could say anything else. I got into my room, grabbed my phone and called her. And instantly,  she picked up, like she expected me to.
“Hello?”
“Hey Allison, sorry about today. I had a lot on my mind so, I couldn’t make it on time. Can we-“
“But you are coming… right?”
I looked around my room and probably by providence, my eyes fell on a poster that seemed eerily like a carefully placed self-warning.
EITHER YOU GO ON TIME OR YOU DON’T GO AT ALL.
But, I guess logic wasn’t going to work considering the way my heart could beat faster than time when I had her around so, I gave myself a ‘what-the-heck’ sigh and answered,
“Yeah, Yeah. I’m on my way. So… see you later?”
Trust me? I Don’t know how that was statement turned into a question but, she laughed (plus for me) and responded, “Okay, I’ll see you too.” I hanged up and gave a normal conversational yell to my uncle,
“Hey Uncle Al! I’ll be out for a while! Don’t wait up!”
Oh yeah, guess we never had a proper introduction. My name is Brandon Williams, I’m crushing on a girl I could never have and this is the weirdest (yet, true) story you have ever heard.
**********************************************
Allison dropped the phone and hugged her pillow. She was actually surprised that she pushed for him to come over but, it was stranger for him to agree to. Because when they started the tutoring lessons, the first thing he did was talk about on of his strictest mantras,
EITHER YOU GO ON TIME OR YOU DON’T GO AT ALL.
But the truth about the matter was that, the only reason why she asked to be tutored was because, she wanted to see and be for with him for a while, alone. It was not brainstorming matter to know that Brandon was the hottest guy in school. With his light skin, blond hair, a beautiful body and those mesmerizing blue eyes, the only thing that kept girls away from him was his weird personality. But, that couldn’t stop her. So, she put up flimsy walls and excuses. They all had grown up together and it was only a matter of time before she realized that she was attracted to him. When they saw that it wasn’t working out and he chose his friendship with Sylvester over her, she wasn’t hurt. Instead, she fell even harder for him. She lay there for some seconds, still thinking about the future and finally, walked into the shower to get ready.
***********************************************
The vibration in Sylvester’s pocket zipped him out of his thoughts. He fished out his phone and glanced at the caller ID.
Brandon.
Instantly, he picked up. “Hey buddy, how you feeling?”
“Better actually. Told you it was a one-time thing”
“So, what do you need man?”. He hesitated for a few seconds and then, answered softly,
“I’m going to Allison’s.”
“Oh so, you broke a principle huh? Do you know how many years I’ve been trying to get you out of that stupid rule book?”
Brandon laughed and he continued, “You are attracted to her man. Always have been. Time to accept how much.”
“Alright man, I’ll see you then.”
“Yeah. But, tomorrow, we talk, about everything.”
“Okay.” He sighed, “Bye then.”
It took some seconds for him to realize that the line was dead. He placed his hands into his pockets and sighed. Then, walked back inside with a prayer of hope wishing that his friends heart was in the right place.
**********************************************
He opened his eyes in fright and the greyish glow dissipated from them. He leaped from his seat and exited from the room he was in. He walked through a large corridor and kept muttering to himself,
“Foolish…impossible…how?” His journey continued through a larger corridor filled with moving images that spoke of the history of his people. But, he kept himself from gawking over them like he normally did. Something was at stake here. He paused in front of a large, golden door which had been engraved upon in a language long forgotten. Taking a deep breath, and muting the fear that was pulsating through him, he knocked loudly on the immense door and after what seemed like forever, the great, golden doors hissed open and immediately upon entry, he knelt before a middle-aged man, dared in royal garments who faced his window, looking at the city below. Ever so softly, the man motioned for him to rise and then spoke,
“You felt it too, Angelo?”
“Yes master but, it isn’t possible. Must have been a mistake!”
“Take it easy my apprentice. If I have taught you anything, it is to never underestimate the spirit of a man. It is undoubtedly boundless. “ the man answered softly as he turned to face Angelo, showing him what their people all aspired for; The eyes of a High Chancellor. Angelo could feel the power of his masters eyes move through him, searching through the boundless gaps of his heart and soul, laying every secret bare. He stared at the permanently grey eyes of the man before him and imagined the deva ton that would be caused if that power was handed over to the wrong person.
If it were ever handed to him.
But, his thoughts were interrupted by the piercing statement that flew from his masters lips,
“Call everyone to the assembly.”
He snapped his head up and looked at the High Chancellor. “Wh-what?” he stammered, “Master, it might have been a fluke, a mistake. A call would cause wide- spread panic-“
“Our people were born and bred for war. We know no such thing as ‘panic’. Call the assembly.”
“We were taught that it was a foolish and impossible thing to do. Mast-“
“Do you know what this situation means?” the High Chancellor asked in a dangerously cool voice, obviously trying to hide his impatience.
“Yes master. But, it’s not possible. Let’s just-“
“DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS ANGELO?!” the High Chancellor roared and Angelo stepped back.
“Yes.” He meekly replied,
“It means that the seal to that bound the Dark Ones to their realm has been removed.”
***********************************************
The Council was in an uproar.
Angelo sighed in frustration. Getting the people the assembly was one thing, getting them to shut up- well, that was the issue. He turned his head to the High Chancellor and mouthed a very desperate ‘help’. He merely smiled in return and then, rose. As if on cue, the entire hall was caught in silence as everyone recognized the power and authority of the man who slowly walked to the pulpit. He stopped in front of it, folded his arms and leaned on the pulpit; a clear stance of informality and began. “I know many don’t want to believe this and to be honest, neither do I. But, we must bear an open mind to the possibility. “
“There are no possibilities because it is impossible!” an elder yelled. “We all know that it just can’t happen.”
“No,” the High Chancellor retorted calmly, “What we know is that, it is a very tough seal to break. But, you already know how we could settle this childish squabble.". The twelve elders before the people stared at each other and nodded gravely. He stared at them with his permanently grey eyes and continued,
"I know we all know this but for our younglings and for those who might have forgotten, I would like to give a little history lesson. When the Guardians sealed themselves in their home, Lumina, they left to some humans sacred abilities that made them transcend far above the limitations of mere mortals. Also, they left with them a means to which they could communicate with them and here it is. ”
He walked to the Centre of the hall and pointed to the altar. “ You know the rules. I make a request for a quest to be granted. If the bronze or silver case materializes, it means that the Guardians are giving us a mission statement. Confirming our suspicion. Okay! ” he declared, “ let’s do this. ” He placed his hand on the altar and the transparent altar glowed with a bright light – blue essence. The audience groaned in disappointment as the case began to materialize in it. And as the smoke dissipated, the crowd gasped in awe and the High Chancellor widened his eyes in shock when he saw it.
A golden case.
This had only one meaning; A gold – rated quest. The greatest and most delicate mission anyone could ever have. But, it had not been seen for so long, even the old ones thought it as a myth.
Until now.
He hesitantly removed the case, opened it, picked out the parchment and spoke to them. "Well, we will have to help the selected Warriors get ready-" he drew in a sharp breath and moaned silently as he peered at the parchment, hoping he overlooked something.
"What is it? ” an elder inquired.
"Yeah, tell us! " added a member of the audience with murmurs of agreement. He turned to face them in feigned excitement.
"Seems like we have a Warrior folks! ”
" How many?" an elder asked and he stared at him with an irritated glance.
"One. I even said ‘ a Warrior ’! ”
"What?!" exclaimed another elder, "Are they crazy? They give us such a delicate mission and they recommend only one person? ” She sighed in frustration and ruffled her hair. Thats when Angelo realized that she was the one the rumors spoke of;  the only one whose beauty rivaled that of the High Chancellor's late wife. She raised her head in memory of an important question, "He or she is from the Quattor Divus,  right?"
He stared at her for a second and then shrugged.
"Nope."
Another uproar.
Angelo notice the worry on his masters face so, he walked to his side through the commotion and tugged at his sleeve,
"Master, can I please see the parchment?"
The High Chancellor passed it on to him reluctantly and when he read it also, he gasped in shock. "Oh my..."
The chaos died down when Angelo's reaction was seen and from the crownd, people inqured, "Who is it Angelo?"
"What does it say?"
But all Angelo could do was stare at his masters face in shock.
"M-master," He stammered as he tried to figure out the best words to use. "Why so many  impossibilities in one day?"
"Angwlo! What are you talking about?" exclaimed another elder, " Tell us who it is! "
He shook as he mentioned the name, "P-p-p..."
"Perry"  the High Chancellor interjected,
"Sheldon Perry."