Stage 7 "Football"

Start from the beginning

"Not everyone enjoys the stench of practice," coach Duke added.

The boys left the field.

"Looks like you're out of practice," Nathan commented as he jogged up beside Lucas.

"Really?" Lucas replied casually. Before him some of the others guys were jostling each other.

"You...after the accident, you didn't practice at all, did you?" Nathan asked hesitantly.

Lucas shot him a glance out of the corner of his eyes. "No."

"I'm guessing it must have been hard to..." Nathan trailed off. "I'm just warning you for your own good. Coach Duke may be forgiving at the start, but if you don't get some serious practice in there's no way he'll let you play first string."

Lucas didn't reply. I'm not planning to be here long enough for that to be an issue.

"I can help you practice to get back in form," Nathan added.

To his own surprise Lucas felt gratitude fill him. "I could use the help," he said.

Nathan grinned as he and Lucas followed the other guys into the gym. Realizing they were headed towards the showers, Lucas paused. If he remembered correctly, the showers were community showers. Options flashed through his mind as his eyes darted around the team members.

Anyone of them could be an operative, he noted. An image of his scars rushed through his mind. There's no way they would fall for them all being from the accident. He didn't stop walking or let his body language change. This was so that if there was an operative around him they wouldn't be able to notice his sudden hesitation and so begin to question him.

He ended up following Nathan into the locker room. Some of the football guys had already pulled their shirts off and were getting ready.

"Heath, you got something there," one guy told another as he pointed to his chest.

"Where?" the guy replied as he looked down. He let out a yelp as the first guy gave him a towel whip.

The others around him laughed.

"Jordan, use soap this time, will you?" another guy yelled.

"I will, when you use water," Jordan replied.

The door burst open and all heads turned. Guys dressed in swimming gear stood there. There was a moment of silence.

"Why are you here?" Rick asked.

"To take a shower," came the calm reply as the guys began to file in.

Lucas watched, noting at once the tension that filled the room. He remembered all Auden had told him about the swim team when he had been given the tour.

"You don't usually have practice at this time," Jordan noted.

"We did today," came the reply as the room got fuller and fuller with guys.

"There's not enough showers for everyone," one of the football guys mentioned.

There was a moment of absolute silence.

"First come first serve!" someone yelled.

There was a sudden stampede as guys sprinted for the showers, clothes still on.

"Come on!" Nathan tried to get Lucas to come.

Lucas shook his head. "It's fine. I'll grab a shower in the dorm." He didn't show how relieved he was at being able to use the excuse.

"You'll be late for class," Nathan warned before he disappeared toward the showers.

Lucas turned away to see a guy in swim gear had sat down on one of the benches. His grey eyes were filled with boredom.

Looks like he isn't in for a fight for the showers either, Lucas noticed before he turned and headed from the room. He hurried to the dorms. Upon reaching his room he found Brian had already left.

Shooting a glance at the clock Lucas saw he only had ten minutes left. He jumped into the shower and was done in record time. Pulling on his uniform he slipped on his shoes before grabbing his backpack and sprinting for the door.

He tied his tie on the way. The bell rang just as he burst into his classroom to find the other guys were sitting down. Raymond looked up and shot Lucas a grin.

"Just made it, huh?" he asked.

Lucas nodded as he sat down.

"Man, it's completely fried!" a guy was complaining.

Lucas glanced up to see the guy holding an object. Surprise filled him as he realized it was a cellphone.

"Dude, you know the rules," another guy whispered, making the first slip the cellphone out of sight.
"I know, but still. How's this possible? It's like it just died!"

"I heard the football guys and the swim team got in a bit of a scuffle over the showers," Raymond turned Lucas' attention away.

"Dunno, I left to take one in the dorm," Lucas replied.

"Good morning class," a feminine voice spoke.

At once silence filled the classroom and all attention turned to the front.

Lucas looked up to see a woman, who could be no older than in her late twenties, had entered. Her brown hair hung down in waves and her blue eyes sparkled. All eyes were on her, and a few boys seemed to even lean forward eagerly. It looked like anyone of the opposite gender received the boy's full attention in the school.

Lucas leaned back. He learned the teacher's name was Miss Samdorth, though apparently she preferred the students call her just Miss Sam. As she taught geography, Lucas watched her.

She definitely doesn't look like a threat, Lucas noted as he watched her daintily writing on the board. Long nails, manicure, and her hair most likely styled by a hairdresser. Her hands look smooth. She's most likely nothing to worry about. But, then again, he felt a wry smile come to his lips as he remembered his mistake for thinking the same of someone before, It's her type that sometimes turn out to be a bigger threat than expected.

The morning periods went by in a blur. The break before the last period before lunch, Nathan suddenly popped his head in.

"What are you doing here?" Frank asked.

Nathan ignored him as he walked up to Lucas. "What's up?" he asked.

Lucas raised his eyebrows.

"Hey, I asked you a questi..."

"Come on Frank, I'm just visiting," Nathan told him as he turned to him.

They know each other, Lucas tucked away that piece of information at once.

"You missed quite the event," Nathan added as he turned to face Lucas once more.

Raymond leaned in.

"Thing's got crazy over the shower thing," Nathan added. He sat down on the front of Lucas' desk. Lucas made no comment.

"I heard you guys got in a fight with the swim team," Raymond spoke up. All around them ears seemed to perk.

"Yeah," Nathan muttered. "It almost ended in a fist fight. Coach was furious. Those jerks need to be taken down a peg." Seeming to realize that everyone was listening in he shut his mouth. He turned to Lucas. "I'm headed to town after classes are over. Got to grab some stuff."

"You can't just go out," Frank commented.

"Got permission," Nathan replied without looking at him. "Since you only just came you haven't been yet. Want to check it out?"

Lucas raised his eyebrows as he considered the offer.

Options (Next chapter is up so options are invalid)

A) Lucas should stay at school and after class check to see if the bugs he placed picked up anything. Maybe he can also look around some more and see if he can figure out which buildings he can rule out of checking.

B) Go with Nathan, it would be a good idea to check out the town to get to know the area outside of school a bit.

C) Stay behind and spend the time after school practicing football.