"He's already outside. He's waiting for you with your daughter." I lie. "Help me lift this off of you, so you can see them again."

She helps me lift it and pulls her leg free.

"I'm right behind you. Let's get outside." She nods and starts walking toward the stairs. I knew she wouldn't leave without her baby, so I lied and I don't follow. Instead, I look for the nursery. I open doors and don't find it until I can hear more screams from outside. I hear the woman yelling about her baby and 'the girl who helped her.'

In the crib, is a baby. He's wrapped in blue blankets that have little burns at the edges. The crib is aflame, but it hasn't touched the boy.

I pick up the baby and hold him close to my chest, as I make my way out of the room. I move to the stairs and lean against the rail to try and breat through the smoke. I clutch the boy closer as the railing breaks. I roll on my back, so the baby doesn't get injured. The air is slightly clearer down here, but not clear enough. I can't see more than three feet in front of me, so I put one arm out in front of me and walk in the general direction of the door. I hear a blast and breaking glass. There are louder screams from outside, so I follow the sounds and find the open door. I stumble outside and squint to see people staring at me.

I can still feel the warm flames at my back, when someone wraps a blanket around my shoulders, I push it off. I walk to the sister of the baby I'm holding. The mother is nowhere in sight, ao i guess she's on her way to the hospital. I place Kyle in the girl's arms, and suddenly miss how it felt to hold him in mine.

"Tell your mom I'm sorry." I croak, before coughing.

She looks at me confused. "For what? Saving her life? Saving my brother?" The baby is crying, I realize.

"I lied to her," I cough. "so she would leave." Cough. "I knew I wouldn't get them both out if I told" cough, "the truth." more coughs "No one would leave their child inside." Another few coughs. My hand moves to my stomach, acknowledging the baby that I haven't been about. For the first time since I found out, I feel something other than fear and upset about being pregnant.

I have a coughing fit and I feel the blanket on my shoulders again. Someone puts an oxygen mast on my face and it becomes a lot easier to breathe. The paramedics help me into an ambulance and I'm rushed to the hospital.

When they discover that I wasn't burned, even where my clothes were burned all the way through, they are confused. I tell them I don't feel burned, but my lungs hurt and my back is slightly sore from when I fell through the rail.

"Can I call my family?" I ask.

"Yes."

I pull out my phone, that I still have and wasn't fireproof, and call the house number for the Grey-Joys. Charlie answers. I swear that kid never leaves their house. But, who am I to judge. I almost never leave.

"Hey, Charlie. It's Percy. Can you tell Mrs. Grey-Joy that in in the hospital?"

"Yeah. What happened?" He asks. I hear him talk to Theon. It sounds something like 'Percy is in the hospital. Go get your mom.'

"It's a long story. Just get Mrs. Grey-Joy, please."

"Hello? Percy? What happened? Why are you in the hospital?"

"I may or may not have run into a burning building to save a woman and her child. Can you please just come down here?" I ask

"Yes, but I expect a full explanation, Persephone Jackson." She says "I'll see you soon."

We both hang up and I pull up another contact and hit dial, before I can talk myself out of it.

"Percy?" He's surprised that called.

"Hey Leo. I need you to come to (insert hospital here). I have something to tell you. I should've told you earlier, but I was scared."

"Are you sick? What happened? Why are you at the hospital? I'll be there as soon as I can."

"I'll see you soon."

"I'm bringing Jason and Frank. They miss you and I need a ride."

"Okay." I say. "Love you, bye."

I cannot believe I just said that. I'm supposed to be mad at him. Damn (I wonder if anyone will comment 'Dam*') it!

After about ten minutes, the Grey-Joys and Charlie showed up.

"Hey." I say.

"You ran into a burning building!? That was so irresponsible.  You could've been hurt or... or killed!" Mrs. Grey-Joy ranted worriedly.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't just watch as the girl screamed for someone to save her mother and baby brother from inside the building. I lost my mom in a fire and they held me back from running inside. I didn't want her to lose her family because no one wanted to help her." My voice cracked at the end. "I don't regret it at all. I'd do it again in a heart beat. I saved two people today. It felt good. It felt great. I've been away from home too long. I miss being a hero. I want to go back to saving people (hunting things. The family business)."

Just then the door opens and Leo nearly falls over, running in. Jason and Frank are close behind him.

"Got... here... as... fast... as... we could." Leo was breathing heavy. He moved next to me. I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him closer to me in a tight embrace.

"You smell like fire." I say.

"You do too." He replies. I close my eyes and rest my head on his shoulder. "I was so worried when you called. I thought it would be at least another two months before you talked to anyone from Camp. Then you called and said you were in the hospital I..." He trailed off, squeezing me tighter.

"Well," I say. He pulls me away and looks me in the eyes.

"No!" Jason and Frank shout. "No stories until we get hugs!"

I snort and Jason pushes Leo out of the way to hug me. Then Frank hugs me.

"Okay, now everyone out!" Mrs. Grey-Joy says.

"Whose this?" Leo asks

"The woman who has been looking after Percy. I am allowed to be a worried parent for ten minutes and talk to her." Mrs. Grey-Joy shot back at Leo. He put his hands up in defence and everyone left the room. "That's him, isn't it?" She asks me

"Yeah. I called him after I called you. I didn't expect them to get here so fast." I say. "I'm going to tell him."

"Now?"

I nod, but my heart races in my chest and my stomach flips. "Send in my annoying kind of boyfriend."

"Okay." She kisses the top of my head and walks. Out. First, Charlie tries to walk in and I hear her say "If she wanted you, she would have said 'send in the annoying kid with the green hair.'"

Leo walks in and my voice gets stuck in my throat when he sits in the chair next to the bed.

"Oh, gods. I don't even know how to say this, but I have to. And, I don't know how you'll react. I don't want you to be sad or angry or-"

He cut me off, by kissing me. When he pulls away I stay silent for a moment, before saying two words.

"I'm pregnant."

That was easier than I thought it would be.

AN bet you didn't expect that. Lol. I'm not going to read the Count of Monte Cristo. It is way too boring and long, so I'll use sparknotes. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. If you have any questions or suggestions, comment or message me. If there's anything you don't like, let me know. 🌚🌚🌚🌹🌹🌹