9: He's All Yours

Start from the beginning

“Oh. Well, that’s nice, I guess.” She didn’t sound very convinced. “Well, I hope we can become good friends, Adri.” Why was she giving me a nickname? I’d known her for no more than five minutes, and she was no Nathan. “Maybe you could introduce me to Mitch sometime. I know it’s a lot to ask, but it’d mean so much to me.”

And I was supposed to care about what this meant to her why? Seriously, she was just like my old assistant. My old assistant had had a crush on Mitch, too; it was the excuse I’d used to fire her. I caught her having the time of her life flirting with Mitch one day, so I called her a cougar and accused her of sleeping with him. It was smooth sailing from there; my mother didn’t question my decision to fire her when I told her why I’d done it. I was pretty sure my mother loved Mitch more than she loved me.

When I didn’t say anything, she just kept talking. “I’m sure you’ve had a schoolgirl dream before. Right? Well, Mitch is mine. I’ve had this crush for such a long time.”

Mitch was all hers if she wanted him, because I sure as hell didn’t. Hell, I’d even stuff him in a box for her and put a bow on top of his head. I’d ship him over first class if it meant getting rid of him.

For a moment, I actually considered introducing Elle to Mitch if it meant getting him off of my back. They were perfect for each other. They were both attractive, they both had the personality of a cardboard box, and they were both incredibly narcissistic and self-involved. How much better could it get?

It was tempting, but I knew that if anyone found out I’d made Mitch leave me on purpose by pushing him towards this new girl, it would just cause unnecessary problems. It was better to just keep things as they were, no matter how much they sucked. I still held onto the hope that Mitch would one day screw up badly enough to annihilate this relationship in a way even my mother couldn’t salvage.

I snapped out of my thoughts and forced a smile when I realized she was still waiting for an answer. “We’ll see. Mitch doesn’t have a whole lot of free time. Trying to suck less at acting is pretty exhausting, I guess.”

I think I was trying to subtly encourage her to take Mitch from me, but even I wasn’t exactly sure what I was doing. My mouth just seemed to be moving of its own volition.

“I guess.” She frowned. “I think I’ll go look for Lawrence now. See you around, Adri!”

I just grunted. My immediate hatred of her was yet another indication that she was perfect for Mitch. They’d be the most intolerable couple ever. How cute.

“Did you see that look in her eyes?” I asked Nathan once Elle was gone.

“The look of jealousy and desire to steal your boyfriend, you mean?” he replied as we walked over to my stylists. “I saw it.”

“Not exactly. She had this evil glint in her eyes, though wanting to steal Mitch was definitely part of it.” I greeted my stylists and sat down in the chair they’d set apart for me; it even had my name.

“I feel like she was just looking for a reason to go bang your boyfriend,” Nathan said, and Ashley and Winona exchanged a look at Nathan’s crude way of putting it. I wasn’t even surprised anymore. He could’ve made it sound much worse, to be honest.

“She can go right ahead,” I said, leaning back in my seat. “She can have him, for all I care.”

I sat in that seat for the next two hours, patiently allowing Winona and Ashley to do my hair and makeup. Though their first impression of Nathan wasn’t the best—he had no filter—he won them over by the end. It was hard not to fall into his charm, and his ridiculous commentary on his surroundings made it even harder to sit still. Ashley almost poked my eye out a couple of times when she attempted to put mascara on me just as Nathan made some sort of idiotic comment.