9: He's All Yours

Start from the beginning

“Good. Now, I have to go find this new model the agency sent over. She’s supposedly taking the fashion scene by storm already, and this is according to pretty much every fashion blog out there, but oh, my God, do I want to hit her with my car.” Lawrence shook his head, and I burst out laughing. “Your garment bags are over there, and your stylists are already here. You can go over whenever.”

“Alright,” I said, gesturing backwards at Nathan. When I heard him walk closer, I started making my way towards the back. On the way, I ran into a tall blonde who looked a lot like the assistant my mother had hired for me a while back. She was the reason I was so horrified when my mother threatened to hire someone for me; she was tall, blond, busty, and the devil in disguise. “Were you looking at the dessert table?” “You’re not really eating that, are you?” “You’re only working out for two hours?” “That’s not going to help you lose five more pounds.” Faults and inappropriate sense of humor aside, Nathan was an angel compared to that woman, and there was no way I was losing the tranquility I felt with Nathan as my assistant. Well… tranquility may not have been the right word. I worried about different things when it came to him, but it was never anything I couldn’t handle.

“Oh, I am so sorry,” the blonde said. She literally looked just like my former assistant, just younger and with much smaller boobs. “I should watch where I’m going! You’re so tiny, I could just run you right over!”

I scoffed quietly, already annoyed. Who was this bitch? “You should. I’m guessing you’re the blonde Lawrence wants to run over?”

She just looked confused. “Who’s Lawrence?”

“Exactly.” No wonder Lawrence wanted to hit her. I kind of wanted to hit her, and I had just met her. “You’ll know when you see him.”

“Oh. Well, I’m Elle. I’m sure you’ve heard of me. Every fashion magazine in the United States is talking about me.”

“Actually, I hadn’t heard about you until today.”

“Really?” she asked. “I’ve already been named Most Promising Newcomer by, like, four magazines, but who’s counting?”

“That’s nice.”

“You know—wait a second.” She tapped her chin with her perfectly polished hand, staring at me with a knowing look on her face. “You’re Adriana Martella, aren’t you? Mitch Evans’s girlfriend?”

I actually had to resist the urge to walk away. Since when was I the one who was associated with Mitch? Shouldn’t it have been the other way around? “Yes. Why?”

She shook her head, a strange glint in her eyes. “Oh, no reason. It’s just—well, I hope you’re not offended by this and don’t take it the wrong way, but I just have the biggest crush on him!”

“Uh… why are you telling me this?” I shared a look with Nathan. If you were planning on stealing a girl’s boyfriend, telling her you had a crush on him wasn’t the best way to go.

“Oh, I don’t mean it like that,” she said, although it was obvious she did. She still had that glint in her eyes, and I was starting to think she was evil. “I’m just such a huge fan of your boyfriend.”

“Really? He’s not very good.”

Nathan snorted out loud at my comment, but Elle just looked taken aback. “How could you say that? He’s your boyfriend.”

I smiled innocently. “Mitch and I believe honesty is the key to any relationship.” The key of doom, but the key, nonetheless. We were a little too honest, especially when it came to how much we hated each other.