Chapter 3 - I Need My Steak Knife

Start from the beginning

           She just glared, which earned another shrug from me again.

           I always win these senseless arguments and she knows it. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against SpongeBob. But seeing my mom collect SpongeBob merchandise like pillows and pens can be a bit damaging to my mental state.

          And besides, I kinda like watching her getting stressed over senseless stuff. It's kinda fun...kinda.

           "Put that knife down before you hurt someone!" she snapped at me again then turned to the stove to stir the spaghetti sauce she was making.

           I rolled my eyes and tossed the knife to the sink. Honestly, she can be so dramatic sometimes.

           "Want me to call for Angelica and Kylie?" I asked her teasingly.

           "What for?" she asked me absently, now focused on her cooking.

           "You know, to help you."

           "Help me with what, exactly?"

           "Help you defend SongeBob, of course. What else would you need them for?"

           "Very funny, Meg. Now go along and maybe check on them," she said and shooed me away with a wave of her spatula.

           Sniggering under my breath, I wandered to the living room to look for Angelica and Kylie. I found them sitting side by side on the davenport while poring over something, a YouTube video perhaps.

           Apparently, kids go through phases. I'm assuming this is one of them.

           As I observed them getting even more excited by the minute, I couldn't help but feel a surge of happiness and loneliness.

           They looked so happy and uncaring. They looked free. They looked like they had a normal childhood, which of course they did. It was something I made sure of. I sacrificed a lot for their happiness. I might have come out of the struggle as a scarred individual, but seeing them now, I could honestly say that it was all worth it. My sisters were as normal as they can be and my mum was happy now.

           My internal musings were interrupted by Kylie's excited voice.

           "Meg!" she gestured wildly at me to come over. "Look at these braids!"

           Ah. The day's obsessions were braids then.

           "They're so pretty, Meg!" Kylie continued. "Can we try them on you?"

           "You know I don't like anybody touching my hair."

           "You don't like anybody touching you." That was Angelica. She knows too much for a kid, I guess they both do.

           I sighed and said to them, "Why don't you try it on each other?"

           "We need to do it together!" Angelica answered me, rolling her eyes at my obvious lack of intelligence. "Come on, Meg! Don't be such a ba-"

           "Hush!" Kylie interrupted her with a light slap on the arm. "Be nice to her, she just might let us do it today."

           "I won't," I cut in. After all, there was no need to get their hopes up and get it crashing down again. "Practice on each other instead."