Chapter 18 -Challenge Accepted

Chapter 18 - Challenge Accepted

"Wake up determined. Go to bed satisfied. And somewhere in between eat a cookie."

- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

Trevor was staring at my chicken intently as Caleb and I walked back to the table, probably debating on whether or not he should nick one. He jumped as I nudged him and grinned sheepishly, basically confirming my suspicions.

"Don't," I snapped at him.

"You know, sharing is good for the soul," he said solemnly to me. "It isn't like you can finish that entire serving."

"Watch me."

He merely rolled his eyes and diverted his attention on his own food which he promptly started scarfing down as if there was no tomorrow.

Trevor had the capacity to eat a ton of food non-stop. Lucky for him, his body physique stayed muscular. This I know due to the multiply times by which he has nicked my food with claims that he was starving, and the multiple times that he would show off his muscles to the ladies at school, especially during sporting events. Trevor would have been sickeningly annoying if it weren't for the fact that he was a genuinely nice person. He was just a bit of a dick and a flirt half the time.

Caleb, however, was very different from his brother. He was leaner, more subdued, and didn't care much for sports but played when asked to. While Trevor was busy messing about with Devon and Asher, Caleb could be seen napping, earplugs in place, lost in whatever music he was listening to. While Trevor was busy flirting with girls, Caleb was too absorbed in whatever current book he was reading. And if Trevor was too busy arguing with Candace about whatever life changing conspiracy they have recently discovered, Caleb was too engrossed with his guitar. Caleb had a reputation, and people tended to leave him be. Whether it was due to respect, or due to his badassery, I don't really know.

Candace was another story. She just never shuts up, and was always too happy. She talks animatedly about anything and everything, sometimes about two things at once, a skill I never even knew existed. Nothing ever seemed to bring her down. Even the fact that Trevor seemed to see her as one of his best friends and she seemed to harbor a huge but secret crushon him. I don't blame her, though. Trevor may be a huge flirt, but he could charm your pants off if he put his heart into it. Candace just always seemed to see the good in everyone, and I think she was everyone's friend at school. She and Leanne seemed to come from a popular crowd, and seemed to be known to everyone in school. In fact, I seemed to be hanging around the popular crowd. Something that was confusing the shit out of me.

"So my parents are away next weekend," Asher suddenly chimed in, excitement is his eyes. This was met with exclamations of happiness from people around the table. Asher was mostly just a quiet guy who I know has been with Leanne since they were still in kindergarten.

"Brilliant!" Candace was practically bouncing in her seat. "What are we doing?"

I looked around in confusion and met Leanne's eyes.

"His parents are loaded and they let him do whatever he wants," she explained, grinning as she ruffled his hair, making it stick up in a mess. "That is, as long as he's a good boy."

"Awwe, baby I'm always a good boy to you," he crooned, leaning towards her, trying to catch her lips and not bump into her trendy glasses at the same time.

"I know you are..hmmm," she crooned back at him.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Caleb roll his eyes, but there was a small smile playing on his lips. I seem to be noticing him a lot lately.