Chapter 17: Taking Action

Ember

My hands are shaking as I lean against the wall. I don't know if I did the right thing, but I had to do something. Going back to that life wasn't an option for me, not after experiencing more. I went with my gut, and I can only hope that it was the right choice.

The reporters spot me after a few seconds. Except for this time, there are no bodyguards to protect me. They rush at me, invading any personal bubble I might have had. I keep walking and avoid making eye contact. They don't take the hint and continue to scream their questions at me.

I walk several blocks before I find the coffee shop and slip inside. The older man behind the counter yells at the couple of reporters that follow me and forces them back outside. I give him a grateful nod and quickly scan the shop for a familiar face. My eyes immediately find her in the back of the room, furthest from the windows.

Mary's eyes light up as soon as she sees me, and I waste no time in rushing over to give her a hug. I'm instantly engulfed in a scent I can only describe as home. I have to blink away tears as she pulls back to examine me.

"I think you've gotten taller," she says with a laugh. "My goodness, you got a tan sweetheart."

I laugh with her and brush a stray tear off my face. We take a seat across from each other, and I'm happy to find a hot chocolate already waiting for me. We both take a few seconds to sip our drinks and think before I finally break it.

"I have a meeting with the lawyers at four," I announce. I glance at her to see her reaction, but she just smiles reassuringly and grabs my hand. I know it's a long shot to try and get everything that I want, but I'm not giving up. Robert owes me way more than I'm asking. He should be thankful.

"I know this is a lot, but you can do it. I'm here for you, and so is Edwin. He won't be able to get anywhere near you after this."

I nod at her words and take a deep breath. I plan to have the contracts written up by tonight, and if everything goes as planned, I will be out of town before the end of the week. I don't know where I'm supposed to go, but I know where I would like to go. The question is, am I even welcome there anymore?

Mary shakes me out of my thoughts when she squeezes my hand. "Do you want me to go with you?"

"Of course. I hope you don't mind, but I asked Linda to come as well." She nods and I breathe a silent sigh of relief. My grandma and Mary don't quite get along, but I need them both on my side for this. My grandma has current custody of my little sister, Mae, but she has happily agreed to hand that custody over to me.

Mae is a surprising nine years younger than me. It's no secret that she was an accident, my mother had her at 45. When I first heard the news that she was pregnant, I wanted to cry. Not out of joy, but of fear. I was afraid another little girl was going to be put through the same thing as me.

When it was confirmed that it was a girl, I went to my grandma for help. We didn't know each other well, having barely seen each other during holidays. I told her everything that had happened up until that point and begged her to take Mae away as soon as she was born. My grandma was furious at her son and wasted no time threatening him.

Robert gave her Mae without much of a fight. I figured he didn't want to put any more effort towards another worthless daughter. My mother was a little more reluctant, but Robert ultimately won. My grandma tried to get custody of me, but it was no use. Robert wasn't giving up his perfect robot.

I got to see Mae a lot in the beginning. As the years went on, though, our time together became less and less because of Robert. I decided on the bus out of town that I would come back for her, and that's exactly what I'm doing. My grandma is ready to do some traveling and enjoy her retirement. Taking care of Mae is too much for her at this point, and I want to be close to my sister again.

My new phone rings and I jump a little at the sound. I'm surprised to find my grandma's house phone displayed across the screen. I immediately pick it up, afraid something is wrong. "Hello?"

"Emmy?" The voice answers tentatively, as if unsure.

"Mae? Is something wrong?" My worry deepens as millions of thoughts race through my mind. Although it isn't unusual for us to talk, we haven't since I ran. I didn't want a link between us in case Robert went searching around her.

"No," she says hesitantly. "Grandma just filled me in on what's going on. Is it true?"

"Is what true?" I have an idea of what she's talking about, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. Fear strikes me as I realize she might not want me to adopt her. What if she wants to stay with grandma? It's the only stable support she's had in her life.

"Grandma said," she stops and I hear her take a deep breath. "She said you wanted to adopt me?"

"That's what I want, but only if you want me to. I planned to ask you tonight." I hold my breath as I wait for a response. I hadn't told grandma not to say anything, so I can't be mad. It's good that Mae is in the loop. I didn't want to do this over the phone, but it's so good to hear her voice.

"Like, you were gonna call and ask me?"

"No," I say, laughing. "I was gonna ask you between the smothering of hugs I planned on giving you."

"Wait. You're coming to grandmas?" The disbelief is clear in her voice, and I want to laugh but I'm afraid she won't believe me.

"I sure am. In approximately," I pause and act like I have to think about it. I hear her huff of impatience and guess that she's rolling her eyes. "Three hours."

"No way! This is unbelievable. Oh my god, I have so much to do. I have to go. I love you!"

The line cuts on her scream, and I blink in mild confusion. I slowly pull the phone away from my ear and stare down at it. A smile takes over my face, and I shake my head. I love her antics.

"Everything alright darling?" Mary asks, covering my hand with hers in a supportive gesture. I nod and smile at her.

"That was Mae. Linda told her about the adoption. I'm not sure how she feels about it, but she's excited to see me."

I take a few seconds to let my thoughts gather. I want three things from my father. I want him and my mother to give up complete parental rights to Mae.  I want the trust funds that my grandpa gave him to keep until my sister and I came of age. I was supposed to have control over mine at 18, but that didn't happen.

Lastly, I want compensation from all the things he put me through. My grandma suggested an outrageous amount, but I only want enough to get Mae and me through our first year or so together without worrying about money.

Mary breaks through my thoughts when she stands up. She motions for me to join her. I grab my bags and follow her to her car. The paparazzi gave up, thankfully. I don't think it will be last of them, but they are gone for now.

The drive to the lawyer's office is quick, which I'm thankful for. The sooner I get out of this meeting, the sooner I get to see Mae. My grandma is waiting in the lobby when we walk in. She hugs me tight when I get within grabbing range.

"Are you ready for this?" She pulls back but holds on to my arms. She looks as nervous as I feel. I give her a nod and a reassuring smile.

"Have you filled the lawyer in?"

"Yes, he's waiting on your instruction now."

The receptionist calls for us and we all follow her to a meeting room. An older man is already inside and rises as we enter. He introduces himself as Micheal McCormik to Mary and me. We sit down and he dives straight in. I have to argue with him on a few things, but after two and a half hours we finally finish.

He tells us that he will have the papers written up and be in contact with Robert's lawyer within two days. As I step out into the evening and head towards my grandma's car, a sense of peace settles over me. Everything in my life is a mess right now, but I feel like it's heading in the right direction. The only thing I need right now are hugs from my favorite girl.