Chapter 16: Free

Ember

The bus rattles down an unknown highway. I'm not looking forward to its destination. I've decided that the best option for everyone is if I stop running. I can only delay my dad finding me, but he will eventually find me. It's best to lead him away from Bear Creek. He never needs to know I was there.

My eyes focus out the window, drawing me from the thoughts that have ran circles in my head. It's dark outside, and if I had to guess, I would say it's around midnight. I've been on the bus for about 18 hours, which means I'm halfway to California. From there I will take a bus to Seattle.

Outside it's dark and dismal as rain pounds against the windows. The farther we get from the ranch, the worse the feeling in my stomach deepens. It feels like I'm making a mistake, but I know that it keeps them safe. My father could destroy everything Graham has done. He could take his ranch away without any effort.

I love Graham too much to let my father destroy him and the people he loves. As long as Graham is safe, I can endure anything he puts me through. The problem is mine alone. It was unfair to bring anyone into this mess in the first place.

The light coming from the front of the bus catches my eye. An older couple shuffles around for a few minutes before the light shuts off. I slump down in the seat hoping to catch a few hours of sleep. I only got a few hours at the ranch before I left, and I haven't slept since.

The bus is pulling to a stop as I wake up. Light is shining brightly through the windows causing me to squint. It's hot, and I'm sweating in the light jacket that I put on. I peel it off of me and stuff it into my duffel bag.

"Winslow, Arizona this is your stop," the bus driver announces. "We'll be back on the road in 15."

I feel the air kick on and quickly aim it towards me. The time seems to drag on as I wait for the bus driver to get back on the road. The bus is now at full capacity, making the air conditioners seem pointless. The next 10 hours pass in a haze as I doze on and off.

The bus finally pulls into a station in California. Regret and fear twist my stomach into knots as I grab my bag and get off. I take deep breaths as I enter the building, going straight for the ticket line before it gets too long. There are only three people in front of me, making my mission quicker.

My palms start to sweat as I grip the bag too hard. The closer I move in line, the more I want to run. The only thing keeping my feet in place is the thoughts of what will happen if I don't go to Seattle. My father already knows I'm coming back. It will all be pointless if I turn around now.

"Next," the clerk calls. It takes me a few seconds to realize that I needed to move forward. I tell him where I'm going, and it takes a few minutes before I'm walking to a seat with my ticket in hand. I sit down and put my bag between my legs. I have an hour to wait before my bus leaves.

I grab my phone and stare at it, afraid to turn it on. I do it anyway because I have a call to make. I close my eyes as it dings a few times, alerting me of missed calls and texts. I take a deep breath before opening my eyes to check them.

I have 15 missed calls and a few texts from Graham. There are some from Lily and two unknown numbers. I take a deep breath before deleting my call history. I dial Mary's number, hoping that she's alone. The last thing I need is to call while he's in the room.

"Hey Em," she greets softly. I know it pains her to let me come back to that toxic cycle. I hate that she's only there because of me. I've tried getting her to leave, but she won't. Not until I leave with her.

"Hey Mary," I answer back. "I made it to California. Just wanted to check in before I get rid of the phone."

"He knows where you are," she says in a hushed whisper. My senses are immediately alert and sit up straighter in my seat. My eyes scan the area quickly, looking for someone that stands out. I'm too panicked to focus.