XXVI. Under New Management

Days passed with business resuming as normal in the Thieves Guild, except for the amount of gold flowing in. Everyone noticed the sudden change of their luck—clouds didn't shift anymore for moonlight to reveal them, guards didn't conveniently look in their direction as they broke into a house or business, and they were now successful in pickpocketing. The Cistern had improved with new furnishings. A merchant occupied each niche in The Ragged Flagon, they nearly had a new recruit every day, and Vekel had so much business now from thirsty or hungry thieves. But still, Macayla hadn't reappeared.

Brynjolf thought she had had enough time and space to see through everything and come to her senses. Perhaps it hadn't been enough time, but he was getting frustrated waiting for her to come back. He longed to see her again; make sure she was alright. And there was still the issue about Guildmaster...

He walked into The Ragged Flagon to ask Vekel or Dirge if they had seen her. Delvin Mallory had returned from his recent mission and was sitting at his usual table. Brynjolf decided to check in on the Guild's Second for his input on the Guild's progress. He took a seat across from him, drawing his attention from his meal.

"Seems things are looking up," he began.

"I've never seen the Guild this busy; Macayla's made e'eryone down 'ere very rich an' happy."

Hearing her name changed his tactic on asking Vekel or Dirge. "Speaking of Macayla, have you seen her?"

Delvin took his time chewing as he thought about what to say. "Course; she comes in all the time askin' me or Vex for jobs."

"She does?" Hearing that she had been seen was a relief, but her refusing to see him by purposely avoiding him by coming through the Ratway instead of the Cistern, meant she was still mad at him.

"Why the surprise?"

"Nothing. I just haven't seen her in a while and want to make sure she's alright."

"Al'right, that's it." Delvin put down his utensils and looked at him. "Both of you need to stop this deflectin'; when she comes in, 'er eyes are constantly searchin' an' she practically runs out like she don't want to be caught 'ere. Now what's goin' on? Have a lovers' spat?"

Brynjolf glared at him. "We are not lovers."

He scoffed. "You should be; you nearly can't keep your eyes off the other. I don't havta be a priest of Mara to see that you care for the other."

Brynjolf sighed heavily. It had hurt so much when she looked at him in anger and just completely blew him off; his pain only increased each day with her no-show, but learning that she purposely avoided him hurt even more.

"She found out that Nocturnal had been possessing her, and that I knew without telling her; she was so angry at me for that. We haven't spoken since the Twilight Sepulcher; in fact, I haven't seen her since then."

"Does she know that Nocturnal told you not to tell 'er?"

He shook his head. "She didn't let me explain."

"Does she know that all of us knew?"

"I think she thinks only Karliah and I knew."

Delvin remained quiet as he thought. "That is somethin'."

Brynjolf sat back in his seat. "And she's probably also avoiding me to keep from discussing the title of Guildmaster. I offered it to her before we left for Irkngthand and she didn't seem thrilled about it."

"She'd be a good one."

Both of them fell silent for a while. Brynjolf had not only offered the place to her because he knew she could do it, but he also did it out of selfish reasons: if she would've accepted it, Macayla wouldn't be inclined to just suddenly leave him.