lights

A/N: This is the final chapter of Sparks Fly! I'm actually planning to make an " x reader" series based on all the songs in Taylor Swift's album Speak Now. It'll probably be a mix of oneshots and longer stories, and I think I'll start accepting requests.

Comment to tell me what you guys think, I'd really love to hear any feedback you have!

___________________________________________________

Drop everything now, meet me in the pouring rain

Kiss me on the sidewalk, take away the pain

'Cause I see sparks fly whenever you smile

Get me with those green eyes, baby, as the lights go down

Give me something that'll haunt me when I'm not around

'Cause I see sparks fly whenever you smile

___________________________________________________

I remember the sprawling castle of a school, lit up by the setting sun. The sheer size of the place made me feel tiny. Rainclouds hovered in the sky, signalling the oncoming rain, the first we'd had in a few months.

I walked across the grassy field with my backpack, barely noticing the pain in my legs. I was amazed at how normal things were here. People were just hanging around, having fun. A couple sat under a tree, chatting excitedly. The boy was turning the leaves around his feet into tiny ice sculptures, making the girl laugh. In the distance, a dark-haired girl in a yellow coat shot bursts of colored light into the air, forming popping heart shapes as the group of kids surrounding her oohed and aahed. The whole scene wouldn't have looked out of place on a TV commercial for this school.

Near the light-shooting girl, I saw a guy with an over-decorated cast on his leg sitting on the ground, a pair of crutches beside him. He was feeding slices of pizza to a dog in his arms. Then I saw the unmistakable flash of light on silver hair.

"Peter!"

"Blackout!" You struggled to get to your feet.

Our voices sounded simultaneously over the field. People looked up at you, then at me. I heard whispers coming from all around.

"So that's Blackout."

"Are those, like, rubber bands?"

"She's here. Ha, about time! Now will he shut up about her?"

I ran across the field, the pain in my legs disappearing completely. The first drops of rain began to fall from the sky. Everyone in the field had stopped whatever they were doing, but no one went back inside.

Later, they'd tell me what they saw.

The dying light, throwing rainbows into the air. The tiny volts of electricity popping in the atmosphere, running down my arms into my bracelets. Raindrops flashing and glittering on my jacket and sneakers. The heat of the ground turning the droplets to steam around my feet. And the rain itself, the glorious, cascading mass of water, refracting light off every inch of me in a million directions, in a million colors, brighter than any firework show.

And you, standing in the middle of the field, propped up on your crutches with your windswept silver hair and oversized Pink Floyd t-shirt, your mouth hanging slightly open, shaking your head in disbelief.

Long, long, live that look on your face.

I skidded to a stop at your feet. "I came as soon as I heard," I said breathlessly. "Your mom's still mad at you for running off and breaking your leg. Lorna misses you, you idiot. Do you have any idea – "

You put a finger on my lips, effectively cutting me off. Butterflies immediately flew into my stomach. If love were volts, you'd have been a living power plant.

"Peter?"

You replaced your finger with your lips, effectively electrifying my whole world.

If it was at all possible for my mind to turn to mush, it did. I was lost in ecstasy, the warmth of you body against mine. I could hear your friends breaking into wolf-whistles and cheers as I ran my fingers through your hair, the lights going wild around us. You pulled me closer to you, the scent of clean wind and pizza engulfing me as I drowned in you once again.

After what seemed like an eternity, we broke apart to breathe, our noses still touching, your hands on my waist.

"So, how long will you be staying?" you asked, grinning like a little kid. For a brief moment, I was reminded of another evening eight years ago, where you were the rainstorm to my house of cards.

I looked at you, noticing for the first time the hint of hazel in your brown eyes, the way your unruly hair fell over your eyes, the awkward way your mouth curved up whenever you smiled. Your turn, Blackout, you seemed to say.

I wasn't going to close the curtains on you ever again.

"Who says I'm planning to leave?"