better

My mind forgets to remind me

You're a bad idea

You touch me once and it's really something

You find I'm even better than you imagined I would be

I'm on my guard for the rest of the world

But with you, I know it's no good

And I could wait patiently

But I really wish you would...

"What do you mean, you broke him out of prison?"

"'You' is a personal pronoun. In this case, it means me, Peter Maximoff. 'Broke' is a verb –"

"Shut up, I know!" I resisted the urge to kick you off the cushion you were sitting on. "Are you sure it was that guy?" I pointed to the television screen, where a dark-haired man in a helmet and cape who tried to murder the president had made a speech about how mutants should rise up and rule the world.

Lorna, who had been sitting on your lap until then, sensed an argument was brewing and scampered upstairs. You looked up at me. Your face was an impossible mixture of pride at pulling off a jailbreak, shock at the speech you'd just heard, and embarrassment at getting into trouble with me. "If I say yes?"

I collapsed on the couch behind you, suddenly feeling extremely tired. This sounded exactly like the kind of insanely idiotic thing you'd do. I took off a few of my bracelets and waved my hand at the television, switching it off.

You got off your cushion and sat next to me. I cast a glance at you, my head starting to hurt. "Blackout, listen –" you started.

"There's only one thing I'm gonna listen to," I said quietly. "Just what the hell did you do?"

You went off like a machine gun, starting from the time, in your words, "a telepath-not-telepath, a guy with disgusting claws and a nerd got into the basement." You didn't even notice when Lorna crept back downstairs to listen, sitting in front of the sofa.

As you went on, the scenes you described started playing in my head like a movie. I imagined you sprinting around a hundred floors beneath the Pentagon like a crazed cheetah on steroids, knocking entire corridors of people over, rearranging fired bullets, even stealing a guard's cap. The whole story was so weird, you couldn't have made it up. I would have killed myself laughing if the situation hadn't been so serious. Y/N, we're supposed to be scared here, I told myself sternly.

"I don't believe you, Peter," Lorna said loudly, after you had finished. She folded her arms in little-girl disbelief.

"I was hoping you'd say that," You grinned and reached behind the sofa cushions, completely unfazed. "Well, here's the cap." You pulled it out, showed us the FBI logo and put it on her head, the goofy grin still on your face.

For a brief moment, Lorna and I were stunned into silence. Lorna's eyes were wide, her mouth open. She took off the cap and examined it again, then put it down and walked away in astonishment.

I shook my head and put my hand over my face, wondering how you could ever be proud of assisting a jailbreak for a guy who was threatening to start a revolution. But I had to admit you'd used your powers well, even if it was for something as insane as that. I wondered if I'd ever be able to do the same.

I fiddled with my bracelets, which were up to my elbows. "Isn't there somewhere I don't have to worry about any of this? Like, where I can learn how to control my powers, be useful for a change?"

"Blackout. Stop asking stupid questions already. You can play Pong without touching the machine." You shrugged. "That's pretty useful to me."

"No, seriously," I said. "You'll never be actually safe with me until I can control my powers, keep them down until I need to use them. So that's why no one wants me. Except maybe you. I guess that makes you my best friend, even if you are the only one. "

"Oh, come on," You wrapped your arms around my shoulders and pulled me closer to you. I sunk into the warmth of your side gratefully. Your touch made the room a little less bleak, making my future seem brighter somehow. "I'll be fine. And I wouldn't give a damn even if you fried my brain cells every time we touched, 'cause I'm already crazy enough about you. You know, I never wanted anything in my life that I couldn't stand losing. Guess it's too late for that." You took a deep breath. "Blackout. Y/N. You're officially the most fun I've ever had without getting arrested. Fact."

Sparks flew in my brain at your unusual yet sincere way of saying you loved me. I slipped off a blue bracelet and put it on your wrist, admiring how it brought out the intense brown of your eyes. "Since when have you ever gotten arrested, hmm, speedy?"

"Stupid question!" You sped away playfully before I could jab you in the ribs. I laughed and ran after you, knowing you would let me catch you and tickle you in the end.

I – we - may not have been safe. Not here, not anywhere. Not with the world outside and their anti-mutant rallies, treaties and God knows what else. Not with a crazy metal-bending guy who was trying to raise an army for world domination, and looked pretty serious about it too.

But we were safe with each other, and that was enough.