5 - Guardian of Souls

After my sudden realization I quickly rushed out the door with a small flick of my wrist (still had no idea how I did that)  and I ran down the many hallways of the house or whatever you want to call it and I had no idea where I was going. I began hyperventilating as many thoughts crossed my head.

So does that mean I'm the protector of millions of peoples souls? What if I can't them to pass? What will happen if they do pass? Why me? What was in that secret gated room? I wonder what time it was? Does Annabelle help the souls pass along too? What happens if someone never passes and they're stuck there forever and it's all my fault? What if I forget to water them? Oh gosh what if I ruin everything?

I gasped as one last question entered my mind. Was my soul somewhere in all of those flowers?

Without warning I turned a corner and ran head on to someone...a very hard someone.

I fell backwards and even managed to hit my head on the floor which caused a lot of pain considering I was dead.

I groaned and rubbed the back of my head keeping my eyes closed.

"Why do I still have to feel pain? I thought that feeling no pain would be included in this package."

The person I ran into laughed and I opened my eyes to come face to face with Jax. He held his hand out and I grabbed it. He pulled me up setting me on my feet, my head still throbbing.

"Sorry Paige but that isn't how it works. We're still kind of human in a way. Still feel emotions, and pain and can still think...just no heartbeat and we don't bleed at all. So saves clean up time."

He beamed at me and I laughed. "Yeah I guess you're right. Say...can you tell me what time it is? Being here has messed with my internal clock...and also it might be the fact that I see no clocks around here."

"Hmm it's around 9 o'clock P.M. the last time I checked which was a couple of seconds ago. I was actually wondering where you were because my brother took you to the garden about over an hour ago and it was strange because no one has every spent that much time in there their first time. Micheal...isn't that what you call him now? It suits him pretty well." Jax scratched the back of his head and laughed. "Anyway Micheal came out of there about 20 minutes after you guys went in there."

"Oh.." I didn't realize I was in there that long. "I didn't even notice him leave."

"He can be sneaky like that. One second I see him walking through a doorway opposite of me, the next he's right beside me or something. Kind of freaky sometimes if you ask me."

I laughed. "He seems like the person to do that." I paused for a couple of seconds and Jax just kept staring at the wall.

"Hey Jax..." My voice trailed off.

His head turned towards me. "Yeah what is it?"

"About the garden..." He stopped me in mid sentence.

"Whoa there Paige. I don't know anything about my brothers garden. I should start to learn soon though...but  I'm a little bit too lazy. That's why you're here you see. To help a bit with the souls. My brother can't do it on his own and Annabelle is a really slow worker in there because she likes to take her time talking to them...which isn't how it should be but our brother lets her do her own thing."

I nodded my head in understanding. 

"Do you think you can show me to my room? Or give me a tour and let me talk to your brother because I have a lot of questions for that man."

Jax smiled. "Sure thing. I'll do all of the above because I'm not tired yet. Maybe walking around will make me tired."

He began to lead me down the corridor that I think I came from earlier. We finally reached a set of double doors and he pushed them open to reveal the dining room we were in earlier.